X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Spyware ...

I was surprised earlier today to receive an email apparently from Google showing me a "timeline" with places I've been to over the last few years.
    It is fairly accurate, but I have no recollection of asking Google to store that data, nor have I any idea how the information was obtained. This seems to go back to around 2013-2014 - before that it doesn't reflect "reality" too well.

OK - allegely it is "private" and I can request deletion - which I may well be inclined to do - but that doesn't actually guarantee that the data will be cleared, does it?!
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

The data will, of course, have been gathered from your mobile phone. Unfortunately, smartphones with removable batteries are rare on the ground now, so if your phone is charged . . .

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I was surprised earlier today to receive an email apparently from Google showing me a "timeline" with places I've been to over the last few years.
      It is fairly accurate, but I have no recollection of asking Google to store that data, nor have I any idea how the information was obtained. This seems to go back to around 2013-2014 - before that it doesn't reflect "reality" too well.

OK - allegely it is "private" and I can request deletion - which I may well be inclined to do - but that doesn't actually guarantee that the data will be cleared, does it?!
      if you use an Android phone then that reports home - if a Mac then until Apple prevented it, any use of a Google app could obtain location - location can also be derived by looking at what WiFi base stations are accessible - if accuracy was poor in early days then that might be the mechanism.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
        if you use an Android phone then that reports home - if a Mac then until Apple prevented it, any use of a Google app could obtain location - location can also be derived by looking at what WiFi base stations are accessible - if accuracy was poor in early days then that might be the mechanism.
        The recent data is probably from a phone, but some of the data pre-dates the phone, and is probably dependent on integrating data from different sources - such as email - contact to internet hubs, access to web sites, etc.

Interesing your comment that Apple prevented some activity - though I don't feel that makes them whiter than white. Probably some of the data about my travels was from the use of iPads or other kit.

Comment

Working...
        X