X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

A truly shocking outcome

A man has died after being Tasered by police officers in Cumbria.

A man shot with a Taser during an arrest in Cumbria dies in hospital, prompting an investigation by police watchdog the IPCC.

This is the second time that Tasers have been used controversially by Cumbria police to my knowledge (the other occasion being their use on Raoul Moat)
  • Roslynmuse
    • Jul 2011

I thought the Raoul Moat incident was in Northumbria? Derrick Bird was the Cumbrian gunman.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
      I thought the Raoul Moat incident was in Northumbria? Derrick Bird was the Cumbrian gunman.
      That doesn't undermine the point AM51 is drawing to our attention

Comment

• amateur51

Dagnabbit u're right, Roslynmuse - I withdraw my slur on the good rozzers of Cumbria

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

except that Moat shot himself .... as did Bird i do feel it is wiser to await the inquiry findings before taking a view here ....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            except that Moat shot himself .... as did Bird i do feel it is wiser to await the inquiry findings before taking a view here ....
            Ah I didn't explain myself properly, Calum. Northumbrian police were criticised for using Tasers of a strength that was not yet legal in UK on Raoul Moat.

I don't know if the IPCC investigation referred to in this article has reported yet
            Last edited by Guest; 17-08-11, 15:54. Reason: get it right!!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Investigations into the actions of Northumbria police in the hours before the death of Raoul Moat are concentrating on two Taser shots fired at the fugitive before he killed himself.
              from your guardian link
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                from your guardian link
                Many thanks, Calum -what a nidiot! I've now amended the original.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  That doesn't undermine the point AM51 is drawing to our attention
                  The point changes though - two forces (rather than just one) - at the least - are trigger happy.

However - back to the horrendous story itself - imagine if this became the norm and (for example) riots such as we saw last week were routinely quelled with tasers.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

The point changes though - two forces (rather than just one) - at the least - are trigger happy.

However - back to the horrendous story itself - imagine if this became the norm and (for example) riots such as we saw last week were routinely quelled with tasers.
                    My apologies for misinterpreting your message, Roslynmuse.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      My apologies for misinterpreting your message, Roslynmuse.
                      No problem!

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Trigger happy? Were you present at the incident in question? Or are you privy to some inside information? Or presumably you have based your view on one newspaper article- never the most reliable source of information- and quite probably your own pre-conceived views about the police force.

Why not wait for the result of the official enquiry? And perhaps if the police had been able to use tasers in the recent rioting, at least some of the death, looting and damage might have been prevented.
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Simon

Oh, the blessings of having certain people on "ignore"!

Sadly, though, in this case I can imagine the kind of rabid comments, partly from the responses. The lefties aren't interested in any inquiry, Mr P - they have their surreal, preconceived ideas and that's all they are prepared to accept.

I suppose in a free-expression forum one has to expect it and as an upholder of the right of free speech within reasonable bounds I wouldn't want to prevent it, but the habit of one particular poster of starting threads with the same political, anti-police, anti-authority agenda, based on a warped and irrational concept of reality, is indeed tiresome. And it must be even more so for those who can read the diatribes.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                            Another blissfully ignorant message from a reliable source of such.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post

Sadly, though, in this case I can imagine the kind of rabid comments, partly from the responses. The lefties aren't interested in any inquiry, Mr P - they have their surreal, preconceived ideas and that's all they are prepared to accept.

I suppose in a free-expression forum one has to expect it and as an upholder of the right of free speech within reasonable bounds I wouldn't want to prevent it, but the habit of one particular poster of starting threads with the same political, anti-police, anti-authority agenda, based on a warped and irrational concept of reality, is indeed tiresome. And it must be even more so for those who can read the diatribes.
                              Whether or not "the lefties" are interested in anything, I am certainly interested in the outcome of any properly conducted enquiry (if such there be) into this kind of activity to ascertain to what extent (if any) the actions under question might have complied with current British law - all British law, that is, including the Human Rights Act that our current Prime Minister would apparently have liked to repeal until he was rightly discouraged from doing so by a number of his own party members, not least the person who happens now to be my own MP.

Comment

Working...
                              X