X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

The Vatican has a change of heart

Or is the Pope just doing some clever PR ahead of his visit to Spain?

Hundreds of thousands of young people descending on Madrid this week for the Catholic church's World Youth Day – which features processions, group prayers and a mass with Pope Benedict XVI – are to get a "special" concession.

Church leaders have ordered that anyone confessing, during this event, to having had an abortion – a sin punishable by excommunication – will be welcomed back into the church.

I'm old enough to remember when the Catholic church used to claim that it was gay men who were a danger to society because they were always trying 'to recruit young people' [other homophobic religions are available]
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

How nice of the Pope

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I always enjoyed his appearances in those Renault adverts on TV: 'Nicole... 'Papa'

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

It's just his wholiness getting worried about the number of young people who see the CC as irrelevant. Even Spanish priests are opposed to the Pope's visit.

Comment

• Simon

<<yawn>> Again.

Comment

• scottycelt

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

I'm delighted to see Simon & Scotty snuggled up together in the land of Nod. Rather reminds me of those scenes of domestic bliss in the Morecambe & Wise shows.

From the US election and Biden's presidency, to gun control and abortion rights; stay up-to-date with the latest lines and comment with The Telegraph.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                I'm delighted to see Simon & Scotty snuggled up together in the land of Nod. Rather reminds me of those scenes of domestic bliss in the Morecambe & Wise shows.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...t_1461175c.jpg
                ... Whatever domestic fantasy scenes one finds blissful and memorable, I suppose ...

As for our own Plat 3 Channel, we now seem to be condemned to constant repeats of the Flossie 'n' Ams Show, with an occasional guest appearance by Ferretfancy ...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

the popery! Gah!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    As for our own Plat 3 Channel, we now seem to be condemned to constant repeats of the Flossie 'n' Ams Show, with an occasional guest appearance by Ferretfancy ...
                    Wake up, Scotty - these are my first posts for about two weeks - I've been away in Shropshire (lovely - walks on the Long Mynd & Stiperstones, covered in heather & bilberry, tea shops, ruined castles) (no - the latter two weren't on the Long Mynd or Stiperstones), & then dealing with elderly & infirm parents.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      Wake up, Scotty - these are my first posts for about two weeks - I've been away in Shropshire (lovely - walks on the Long Mynd & Stiperstones, covered in heather & bilberry, tea shops, ruined castles) (no - the latter two weren't on the Long Mynd or Stiperstones), & then dealing with elderly & infirm parents.
                      Lovely part of the world, flossie! Soul-healing landscapes

If you don't already know it, I recommend Yarborough House at Bishop's Castle as a haven of second-hand classical CDs, LPs & books with a nifty café attached.

Note the odd opening hours though

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                        ... Whatever domestic fantasy scenes one finds blissful and memorable, I suppose ...

Scotty,
                        Fees from all my guest appearances naturally go to the Richard Dawkins Foundation.
                        Ferret

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                          Scotty,
                          Fees from all my guest appearances naturally go to the Richard Dawkins Foundation.
                          Ferret
                          That'll larn 'im!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Lovely part of the world, flossie! Soul-healing landscapes

If you don't already know it, I recommend Yarborough House at Bishop's Castle as a haven of second-hand classical CDs, LPs & books with a nifty café attached.

Note the odd opening hours though

http://www.yarboroughhouse.com/
                            We didn't get to Bishop's Castle until the evening of our last day, & the shop was closed. The Three Tuns Brewery pub wasn't though, so we were able to enjoy some excellent refreshment

My partner thought that the Long Mynd, with the heather & bilberry, wasn't unlike some of the Scottish hills, so he approved. I think we'll be going back again at some point.

Comment

Working...
                            X