X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Austin Currie 1939-2021

He was the first activist in the Northern Ireland Civil Rights campaign and went on to be a founder member of the SDLP.
    The article traces events and players of the 60s with photos etc of those founder members, plus a supporter, though not a member, who established her own reputation and who survives them all.

One of the founding members of the SDLP, he was elected to parliament on both sides of the Irish border.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Only just spotted your post, Padraig. We could certainly do with more of his ilk now. I fear that many this side of the water just want to hide their heads in the sand when anything to do with Northern Ireland is mentioned...maybe especially now with all this Brexit rubbish threatening stability again.

Just a musical aside. I was impressed by Belfast when I and my future wife flew (first time in an aeroplane!) to Queens University to bolster up their choir which was attempting Belshazzar's Feast. This was pre-troubles. (Hope we didn't start them!)

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Could be interesting if the SDLP does fairly well in the next elections.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Yes indeed, but doesn't aggro of any sort tend to polarise voters into opposing camps?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Yes indeed, but doesn't aggro of any sort tend to polarise voters into opposing camps?
          Well, it does, but if Sinn Féin maintains its position there could still be an anti-Brexit majority, which after all would reflect the way the province voted. I thought the SDLP might have a 'respectable' appeal where Sinn Féin was still considered suspect.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            Only just spotted your post, Padraig. We could certainly do with more of his ilk now. I fear that many this side of the water just want to hide their heads in the sand when anything to do with Northern Ireland is mentioned...
            Here is a flavour of the times when change was festering; the Old Guard was fading and the New Guard, like Austin Currie, was about to take centre stage. Tougher times were yet to come.

The Radharc team visited Derry in the summer of 1964 to look at accusations of discrimination against the Catholic population in housing and political repres...

Comment

Working...
            X