X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi 1934-2021

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi was a psychologist who became well known for his ideas on focus and concentration, leading to his work Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience

• french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi was a psychologist who became well known for his ideas on focus and concentration, leading to his work Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mihaly_Csikszentmihalyi
    I've now read the additional wiki piece on Flow. I think that might be how I came to 'forget' to go fo my booster jab a fortnight ago: I didn't actually forget I had to go, I just looked at the clock and found I was already an hour and a half late. "I didn't know what time it was", to quote the song.

Never heard of him or flow (psychology), so could only have offered that Szentmihaly is Hungarian for St Michael which makes the whole name easier to pronounce than it looks.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I've now read the additional wiki piece on Flow. I think that might be how I came to 'forget' to go fo my booster jab a fortnight ago: I didn't actually forget I had to go, I just looked at the clock and found I was already an hour and a half late. "I didn't know what time it was", to quote the song.

Never heard of him or flow (psychology), so could only have offered that Szentmihaly is Hungarian for St Michael which makes the whole name easier to pronounce than it looks.
      But not to spell!!! I think we should congratulate Dave for accurately reproducing it!

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        But not to spell!!! I think we should congratulate Dave for accurately reproducing it!
        Though, thinking about it: since he was "Hungarian-American" one has no idea how he pronounced it

Add: thank goodness he was a psychologist, rather than a classical composer …
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

I can certainly identify with - flow, in the groove, in the zone.... etc...
          Music (especially late at night), Cats, Nature, live Football..... alcohol? (see the recent Mads Mikkelson film, Another Round)

It seems an (almost?) instinctive, childlike absorption....it does become more elusive as one ages..... doesn't it?
          The noisy clutter of - memory, experience, regrets, things-to-do......online, TV, "Current Affairs" (I switch from Newsnight to Classic FM Smooth Classics more often now...).....

Flow would seem closely related to calm, to mindfulness, harder than ever to achieve IRL now, unless you find a way of "practising" it...which can be something as simple as breathing exercises...
          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 04-11-21, 19:27.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I think one aspect of "flow" is that one becomes so absorbed in the activity - whatever that is - that sense of time gets lost. I'm not sure if it also relates to focus - focus or determination in an activity might require more awareness and also self awareness.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I think one aspect of "flow" is that one becomes so absorbed in the activity - whatever that is - that sense of time gets lost. I'm not sure if it also relates to focus - focus or determination in an activity might require more awareness and also self awareness.
              Keith Tippett would have people come up to him after his solo improvised concerts telling him, "I would never have believed that half an hour has just passed", to which Keith answered that in fact it had been an hour!

Comment

Working...
              X