• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

BBC reveals new logos in modern makeover. And in other news, Nero fiddles

"BBC reveals new logos in modern makeover" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58970323
    I wonder how much the new logos cost?
    Sounds is particularly annoying - it has so many issues on various devices, why not fix them first?

The famous BBC logo has had a makeover after audiences told the corporation its services looked "old-fashioned" and "out of date".
    The three blocks incorporating the letters BBC will be slightly wider apart and will feature the corporation's own Reith font.
    Named after the BBC's founder, it will replace the current Gill Sans one.
    News and Weather will also have new symbols made up of three blocks placed at different angles for each service.
    BBC Sounds, iPlayer, BBC Sport and BBC Bitesize will have similar icons in various different colours.
    Some critics felt the new version wasn't significantly different to the old one and questioned the cost involved.
    But the BBC told The Sun earlier this year: "We are using our own font - which we own the intellectual rights to - when we update content or BBC products.
    "It would be wrong to suggest the costs of the design of the blocks was significant."
    It's understood the precise design costs will not be published as they are commercially confidential.
    Many users on Twitter had fun making light of the new logos, with some pointing out an apparent similarity between the new logos and the fictional one in BBC comedy W1A.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Subscribe and ? to the BBC ? https://bit.ly/BBCYouTubeSubWatch the BBC first on iPlayer ? https://bbc.in/iPlayer-Home Programme website: http://www.bbc.co...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Brilliant, french frank - I'd not seen that.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          So they could have saved themselves even more money than just from owning the font - a bonus to the show creators (if necessary - does the Beeb own that material?) has to be cheaper than any "consultancy" or "design" firm.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Extraordinarily prescient. I hope the writers sue for plagiarism.
            Here's another:
            Subscribe and ? to the BBC ? https://bit.ly/BBCYouTubeSubWatch the BBC first on iPlayer ? https://bbc.in/iPlayer-Home Programme website: http://www.bbc.co...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

....are radio announcers going to pronouce this new 'flavour' in a new way....
              bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                ....are radio announcers going to pronouce this new 'flavour' in a new way....
                Tangyble?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                  So instead of BBC, you call it BBC? like, with a question mark at the end?

Back to reality, the real news story is the rebranding of the BBC as from, I think, today, Oct 20th:

Do you see how the new 'Reith' logo is more up to date, in line with modern audience requirements? More spacious and yet at the same time more compact?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Do you see how the new 'Reith' logo is more up to date, in line with modern audience requirements? More spacious and yet at the same time more compact?
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• hmvman
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Boilk
                      New logo is senselessly much harder to read (letters B-B-C) in an internet browser tab:
                      below I refreshed the BBC News page in Chrome, but not (yet) the Weather page...

On my browser - Safari - for some inexplicable reason the BBC News tab shows the Facebook logo...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

The “BBC FOUR” logo at the top left of the screen is annoyingly more intrusive, and a font-shambles - the word FOUR has grown in size while the BBC has shrunk in its squares, with the whole being in less transparent type.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

I've not so far had problems with the clarity of the logo, but in the course of following up the comments here what I have noticed is that the Beeb home page now makes absolutely no mention of its TV or radio stations - it presents solely as a news channel, with only the kiddie content shown as a separate entity. I suppose I haven't noticed what has happened as I have R3 bookmarked, and for TV use a combination of the local rag and Freeview listings - and watch very few BBC TV programmes anyway; I gave up on the BBC website years ago as the first point of contact.
                          Perhaps I've missed something here but if it's the British Broadcasting Corporation shouldn't there be at least a nod to the Broadcasting bit; I don't consider that the online versions fall into that category as the first point of contact. Are there really so very few of us that access the output the old-fashioned way now that it's seen as a waste of time providing information as "everyone" is listening/watching by other means?

Comment

• LHC
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            I've not so far had problems with the clarity of the logo, but in the course of following up the comments here what I have noticed is that the Beeb home page now makes absolutely no mention of its TV or radio stations - it presents solely as a news channel, with only the kiddie content shown as a separate entity. I suppose I haven't noticed what has happened as I have R3 bookmarked, and for TV use a combination of the local rag and Freeview listings - and watch very few BBC TV programmes anyway; I gave up on the BBC website years ago as the first point of contact.
                            Perhaps I've missed something here but if it's the British Broadcasting Corporation shouldn't there be at least a nod to the Broadcasting bit; I don't consider that the online versions fall into that category as the first point of contact. Are there really so very few of us that access the output the old-fashioned way now that it's seen as a waste of time providing information as "everyone" is listening/watching by other means?
                            The BBC tab bar now uses 'IPlayer' for all TV services and 'Sounds' for all radio services. You can still access the radio 3 pages from 'Sounds' and the TV schedules from 'IPlayer'. It has been this way for quite some time now, and is nothing to do with the latest completely redundant logo revisions. You probably didn't notice before as you don't use the BBC website regularly.
                            "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Love it!

Sad that there really are people who think like that, and organisations which fall for them.

A few things to watch out for in business:

1. Restructuring.
                              2. A new chief
                              3. Change of logo
                              4. Change of letterhead-stationery.

These nearly always operate completely independently of any material improvements - and are often quite expensive - in monetary terms, and have little real value.

Comment

Working...
                              X