• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Sarah Connolly on Desert Island Discs

She came over as a lovely person. I was quite surprised she chose pop (including Led Zeppelin) as her first few choices! I knew she'd been a member of the BBC Singers early on in her career, but didn't know she'd had breast cancer.
    Towards the end of the programme, she made some telling comments about UK musicians being hugely disadvantaged by EU restrictions. The word BREXIT wasn't spoken, but her views were obvious. Did the BBC ban use of the word?
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    She came over as a lovely person. I was quite surprised she chose pop (including Led Zeppelin) as her first few choices! I knew she'd been a member of the BBC Singers early on in her career, but didn't know she'd had breast cancer.
    Towards the end of the programme, she made some telling comments about UK musicians being hugely disadvantaged by EU restrictions. The word BREXIT wasn't spoken, but her views were obvious. Did the BBC ban use of the word?
    "Brisolation" seems more apposite, to me.

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Her description of her feelings listening to Haitink conduct the beginning of the last movt of Mahler 3 would I imagine be shared by many; lovely is the word for the music and for her.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

I was interrupted by the arrival of the piano tuner, and the need to ensure covid safe requirements quite rightly requested of us.

On getting the programme up on "Sounds" I see I get 35min 50secs (excluding self advertising etc) from the "podcast version" - the only one available, by any means. The length of previous broadcasts has been 43min 30 secs. So, the rights issues have kicked in hours after the broadcast whereas previously the fuller version was available for 30 days with the fuller music extracts.

Ironic, given that so often they lure listeners to sign up to podcasts with extra content - here they omit to mention you lose 8 minutes by not making an appointment to listen live. I don't have to set a cassette recording deck these days, but I need to rig up the computer to record the full programme or ensure I'm free and interrupted at 11:00 on Sunday.

I believe in registering deficiencies in Sounds as a complaint (to have any visibility - as the issues should be/are logged as such in management stats). However, this is a genuine cause for complaint and takes economy in handling the replay on Sounds too far.

Presumably they assume Radio 4 listeners are like those for Radios 1, 6 and 2 who can effortlessly switch into "tracks" on their mobile Spotify streaming service to hear the full music.

Doubly ironic for me, as a friend has been discharged out of hospital into residential care (understandably to minimise time in hospital) because according to the discharge team, his flat being is on the 1st floor and he now needs to move. Anyway, whilst he battles that one out and recuperates - always used to using Sounds on his desktop, he now has a transistor radio and a problematic freeview TV. I've sent him headphones and am trying to reset a tablet for him to use Sounds/iPlayer and get used to apps (next initiative - move to a smartphone). When he gets there, he'll be listening to an artist he's seen on stage, and snatched excerpts for music he greatly values and for which he can discuss comparative performers at length....... (excepting Led Zeppelin and Bowie; Miles - not a deep knowledge I suspect).

A few steps forward, and a huge leap back - BBC please note!

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Excellent programme …. I never knew she was a smoggie ……..

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

"Brisolation" seems more apposite, to me.
            A good description, Bryn. I'll spread that particular word.

Comment

Working...
            X