Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
    Heard Episode 1 last night - AB on top form. I hope that 'unfatuate' is rapidly recognized by the OED as the valuable addition to the English language that is so obviously is.
    Totally brilliant isn't it Ofca - many thanks to Cailban for the 'heads up'. I can't think of saying 'tits' now
    Last edited by Guest; 16-08-11, 09:16. Reason: Get Ofca's name right

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Totally brilliant isn't it Ofca - many thanks to Cailban for the 'heads up'. I can't think of saying 'tits' now

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        The more I listen to my audiobook version, the more I think that you must not miss Bennett's "The Shielding of Mrs Forbes", Ammy!! First of 7 episodes this evening at 22:45 (and on iPlayer thereafter)
        Many thanks for the alert, Caliban - you were spot on. I lay in my cot last evening at 22:45 and giggled & hooted my way to 23:00 A National Treasure and a Total Tonic
        Last edited by Guest; 16-08-11, 09:27. Reason: Get Caliban's name right

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Messieurs Ofcachap and Amateur51 - I'm glad you enjoyed it. Not quite a sharp as earlier work, perhaps, but the turns of phrase ("I mean, 'Betty'... what sort of a name is that?") , the euphemisms (wait till you get to "untrammelled by tedious prophylaxis") endlessly amusing and endearing. Plus he has the same accent EXACTLY as all my Leeds and Bradford aunties - so some of the turns of phrase transport me straight back to childhood Christmases, with genteel Methodist put-downs being delivered among the holly...
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Messieurs Ofcachap and Amateur51 - I'm glad you enjoyed it. Not quite a sharp as earlier work, perhaps, but the turns of phrase ("I mean, 'Betty'... what sort of a name is that?") , the euphemisms (wait till you get to "untrammelled by tedious prophylaxis") endlessly amusing and endearing. Plus he has the same accent EXACTLY as all my Leeds and Bradford aunties - so some of the turns of phrase transport me straight back to childhood Christmases, with genteel Methodist put-downs being delivered among the holly...
            I loved the pettiness of the propriety, especially targetting Jews and Catholics - spot on.

I was always having to defend Catholics from my mother's prejudices - "they ALWAYS have to dominate" - scotty would be amazed

She liked Jews cos she knew a Jewish lady - that always helps And they shared an interest in kitchens

Comment

• Simon

Interesting thread.

The only programme I regularly make a major effort to listen to is "From Our Own Correspondent", which ties in sometimes with my job or travels. They vary in ability to retain interest, but as a general group these BBC people are second to none. When I was working in the former Yugoslavia, everyone with the office advised me to "get to know and on with" the local FCs wherever I went in my career. The career, as it turned out, was fairly short-lived as other things beckoned, but I am sure that it was unimpeachable advice and remember a few fascinating times.
              Last edited by Guest; 16-08-11, 13:54. Reason: typos

Comment

• Norfolk Born

For what I'm sure are perfectly good reasons, FOOC is 30 minutes long, once (sometimes twice) a week, on Radio 4 and introduced by Kate Adie, but 10 minutes long, more often a week (I'm not sure how many times) on the World Service and introduced by Alan Johnston.
                Last edited by Guest; 16-08-11, 13:51. Reason: Corrected name of presenter

Comment

• Don Petter

The only non-R3 programmes we listen to, either live, usually in the car, or by catching up on the PC, are all on R4Extra (ugly change of name!):

The Goon Show
                  Hancock's Half Hour
                  I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue
                  Just A Minute (which I remember when it was called 'One Minute Please!)
                  Take It From Here
                  Round The Horne
                  Beyond Our Ken

Which probably says something about both our age and a frozen sense of humour.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                    • Jul 2011

Radio 4 in the car - Andrew Marr Monday, Melvyn Bragg Thursday (often twice - one of the best programmes on radio, so bound to be axed soon), DID Friday; occasionally Midweek (Libby Purves is a bit too irritating for me but the guests are sometimes worth hearing); the short story when I can hear it (not often) at 1530; the 1830 comedy slot especially Just a Minute, ISIHAC, News Quiz. Quite like Now Show, and used to love Dead Ringers (Thora Hird and Alan Bennett - the one involving Thora's fist-fight with the Queen Mother was a classic - 'they covered it up with a story about a fish-bone' - 'Thora offered me another macaroon' :D ); some of the others hardly make me smile let alone laugh, but I like the one (name forgotten) set in a medieval castle, Cabin Pressure, Laura Solon. Also used to enjoy Questions, Questions. Am very fond of GQT although I know NOTHING about the practicality of gardening!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Martin Sixsmith's: "Russia: The Wild East"
                      I agree that this was excellent.

Any Questions, Down The Line, Today (switched off for Thought for the Day), Marr, Bragg, Front Row, Own Correspondent, Desert Island, Afternoon Play (sometimes)

R5: Danny Baker, Fighting Talk, Mark Kermode's film review.

Comment

• Anna

Another for Caliban's recommendation of Alan Bennett. I listened at lunch time and nearly snorked my yoghurt over the keyboard! (Onken vanilla with chocolate flakes btw) Too much to ask I suppose that the second story will also be broadcast.

Radio 4 listening is confined to mornings (Today) and evenings (PM) although I do like FooC, progs like Belief, The Food Programme and Front Row. Round the Horne of course on R4X

Comment

Working...
                        X