X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Wood burning

I'm not condoning "unnecessary" burning of fossil fuels, but we now live in an area where wood can be burnt, and it is a useful backup in case of failures with electricity or other fuels.

So we do burn some logs during the winter months. I am considering an order before the weather gets bad, and the local supplier can supply logs of the following types:

Softwood, Birch, Oak, Ash - all kiln dried.

We have previously had softwood (cheap - but burns quickly) and ash - more expensive - and it appears not locally produced but imported from countries such as Lithuania [not such good news ...].
    So now I'm wondering how well birch or oak logs will burn.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

First make sure you have a modern efficient EcoDesign, 2022 compliant woodburner. Then use kiln-dried, ready to burn logs. Not sure that it matters which kind of hardwood you choose.

My new woodburner has just been installed (I also have plenty of candles for when the lights go out!) - at some cost - and I shall burn kiln-dried birch.

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I'm not condoning "unnecessary" burning of fossil fuels, but we now live in an area where wood can be burnt, and it is a useful backup in case of failures with electricity or other fuels.

So we do burn some logs during the winter months. I am considering an order before the weather gets bad, and the local supplier can supply logs of the following types:

We have previously had softwood (cheap - but burns quickly) and ash - more expensive - and it appears not locally produced but imported from countries such as Lithuania [not such good news ...].
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Woodburner is new - only installed about two years ago. I'm not intending to change it now. Not perfect, but good enough for taking the chill off the living room.
      So far there hasn't really been much need for additional heat and I figure that the pipe work from the hot water system leaks just enough heat to keep things reasonable without resorting to turning the CH on - but that will happen eventually.

Maybe I should try oak then, and we can compare notes in a few months time. I suspect we'll need a couple of deliveries before next March. Ash is good, but this year oak - said to be hard to light - and birch - easier to light - are cheaper.
      I'll also check where the wood comes from. I'll try to avoid imports if I can, so I hope some of the loads will be locally sourced. We still have some left over supplies from a local estate, but the quality of that is variable.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Correction: I said birch but I meant beech Doubt I'll be able to afford my central heating this winter, the way things are looking

Well Seasoned Wood - Leading supplier of superior quality firewood coupled with exceptional value for money - serving Bristol, Bath and Nationwide. Offering kiln dried logs for sale to homeowners and businesses. Looking for log sales near me? including eco logs, kiln dried kindling and fireside accessories.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
          Host
          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Correction: I said birch but I meant beech Doubt I'll be able to afford my central heating this winter, the way things are looking
          https://wellseasonedwood.com/
          Yes, chaos &, sadly, another two Energy companies gone.

I like oak for the wood smell & interesting grain.
          Well Seasoned Wood looks good & those bags seem liftable & practical. Did your beech come with a free dog?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
            Well Seasoned Wood looks good & those bags seem liftable & practical. Did your beech come with a free dog?
            No dog, sadly. The little chap looks as if he needs cheering up a bit. WSW are excellent as they carry the 25 nets through the house and stack them in the log shelter at the back. They block the entire street while doing so, but that's just what happens when your street is a free car park for shoppers and local businesses.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

From my experience of fires when camping, softwood from evergreen trees (if properly dried), and ash, will produce a fierce heat, good for starting the fire. Oak logs will need a solid bed of embers (eg from the above) to get started but will then burn steadiiy and slowly. (Not sure about birch.)

I buy natural firelighters from Mole Stores (sic!) - superior to using newspaper or the paraffin-based ones.

A fire is wonderful to sit by.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

No dog, sadly. The little chap looks as if he needs cheering up a bit. WSW are excellent as they carry the 25 nets through the house and stack them in the log shelter at the back. They block the entire street while doing so, but that's just what happens when your street is a free car park for shoppers and local businesses.
                He does look a little sad.
                That's service for you & well done for blocking the annoying free parkers.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

https://wellseasonedwood.com/
                  You'll just have to "wise up" in accordance with Anne Widdecombe's perennial prescriptions for the good life on the Jeremy Vine Show on CH5 this morning: in her day they didn't have things like central heating; when it got colder you put on a cardigan - simple!

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

I use softwood to get the fire going and then hardwood. It comes from a local firm that buys in from around the region and then stores and cuts. They deliver in various formats from small nets to bulk loose loads, mixed or single, and I use them as I'm in a mid-terrace without a suitable space at the front and they do barrow bags, about .25 cubic metre. They wheel the bags down the end drive and across two back yards to my yard. The perishing cold April meant I used quite a lot and need to top the woodstore up, but will have to pay delivery as I only have space for 2 bags rather than the 3 bag minimum order for free delivery, nor space to store the surplus 3rd bag until there's room in the woodstore. Never mind, it's still reasonably priced, I can specify small chunks for my small stove, and sensible alternative options are limited to say the least.
                    A local training centre run by MIND used to be an excellent source of kindling but that stopped with lockdown; I'll need to find out if they're up and running again. Their site is on an industrial estate and used pallets and other waste wood from the surrounding businesses - good price and quality, to say nothing of supporting a good cause.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      You'll just have to "wise up" in accordance with Anne Widdecombe's perennial prescriptions for the good life on the Jeremy Vine Show on CH5 this morning: in her day they didn't have things like central heating; when it got colder you put on a cardigan - simple!
                      And the rest! It wasn't fun. I still put layers on rather than immediately turn to a heat source but there comes a stage when jumpers, socks,hot water bottle and a blanket don't meet the need nor stave off problems with joints and muscles.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        And the rest! It wasn't fun. I still put layers on rather than immediately turn to a heat source but there comes a stage when jumpers, socks,hot water bottle and a blanket don't meet the need nor stave off problems with joints and muscles.
                        …and the Jack Frost patterns on the windows were lovely but it was very cold.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          …and the Jack Frost patterns on the windows were lovely but it was very cold.
                          The novelty of drawing on the ice on the inside of the window soon wore off as the cold seeped into feet(slippers and socks) from the lino covered bedroom floor in my Granny's house when we went up for Christmas. At home we did have some rugs on the floor, but the first two childhood homes only had a single coal fire or stove downstairs and in both cases tiled floors. Did prepare us for out-of-season/cold weather camping though.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            My first line of defence anyway. My boilerman said my boiler is still fine and should last a few more years yet, thanks to the fact that it doesn't get a lot of use. It will get put on 2 when the clocks change, and stay on at that level all winter for about 3 hours a day - an hour and a half before I get up and the same in the afternoon. If that doesn't serve the turn, never mind the cardie - it'll be the long winter coat. And a tartan car rug.

Comment

• gradus
                              • Nov 2010

Based on 45 years of wood burning:
                              1 Beech - kiln dried
                              2 Ash- kiln dried
                              3 Elm -very unlikely to be available but excellent if dry
                              4 Oak -kiln dried but as mentioned earlier best to put on a hot bed created by other wood
                              5 Birch- very easy to light when dry but not long-lasting
                              6 Apple/Pear/Cherry/Plum- all good but unlikely to be available in sufficient quantity
                              7 Walnut - good when dry but rarely available
                              8 More or less any other dry hardwood
                              9 Softwood - easy to light when dry but not long lasting

Comment

Working...
                              X