J. P. E. Harper-Scott resigns in protest against 'cancel culture'.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

J. P. E. Harper-Scott resigns in protest against 'cancel culture'.

J. P. E. Harper-Scott, a leading musicologist and Professor of Music History and Theory at Royal Holloway, has taken a stand against the book-burner dangers of the growing departure from academic freedom embraced in cancel culture. My own experience regarding the cancellation by Goldsmith Press of "Scratch Music" ed Cornelius Cardew which was abandoned due to such anti-academic influence springs to mind. As Camus put it, "
    The evil that is in the world always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence, if they lack understanding.

Photo by Leon Seibert on Unsplash After sixteen years of working in the Music Department at Royal Holloway, University of London, I decided in summer 2021 to leave academia and begin…
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    JAs Camus put it, "The evil that is in the world always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence, if they lack understanding.
    Nick Cohen's piece in the Observer chimed with Camus, with the ignorant idea that a novelist can create a character who has execrable views must mean that the novelist agrees with them. Even if it's clear that the character is supposed to be despicable.

Have we gone from Political Correctness > "Political Correctness Gawn Mad" > Woke culture? I think I read something about a Basil Fawlty John Cleese programme coming looking at the implications of "Woke". John Cleese not a man who has improved with age, but the subject worth analysing.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Nick Cohen's piece in the Observer chimed with Camus, with the ignorant idea that a novelist can create a character who has execrable views must mean that the novelist agrees with them. Even if it's clear that the character is supposed to be despicable.

Have we gone from Political Correctness > "Political Correctness Gawn Mad" > Woke culture? I think I read something about a Basil Fawlty John Cleese programme coming looking at the implications of "Woke". John Cleese not a man who has improved with age, but the subject worth analysing.
      Indeed. Discuss and debate it but don't remove it from the discussable by blocking its accessibility.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

I think I read something about a Basil Fawlty John Cleese programme coming looking at the implications of "Woke". John Cleese not a man who has improved with age, but the subject worth analysing.
        Is this the Basil Fawlty John Cleese series, "John Cleese: Cancel Me"?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          Is this the Basil Fawlty John Cleese series, "John Cleese: Cancel Me"?
          https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b1907283.html
          That would be it, yes. Not that I took any further interest, not being able to view it

Nothing as as simple as people want it to be.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

That would be it, yes. Not that I took any further interest, not being able to view it

Nothing as as simple as people want it to be.
            It is yet to be broadcast, is it not? I feel sure it will be widely discussed once it has been.

Comment

Working...
            X