X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alycidon
    • Feb 2013

Professor T - identify tune, please

In the Professor T episode last night (25/07/21) the opening sequences were backed by a tune that I have been trying to identify for a long time. Sounds like a waltz. Can anyone help, please. Thank you.
    Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

It’s the Shostakovich Waltz No.2 …bit of a go to number for murder mysteries. Also parodied (I think ) by the Midsomer Murders theme tune ….

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

I feel like writing "Who cares" - though I do recall the Shostakovich waltz. We watched the second episode of that series yesterday - having skipped the first one - and it being suggested as a worthwhile and entertaining way to spend time. All I can say right now is that almost anything would have been of greater value.

Will it get better? I probably value our time too much to try to find out.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        All I can say right now is that almost anything would have been of greater value.

Will it get better? I probably value our time too much to try to find out.
        ... so many better things available : Beck - Mare of Easttown - and always - Spiral

Comment

• alycidon
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
          In the Professor T episode last night (25/07/21) the opening sequences were backed by a tune that I have been trying to identify for a long time. Sounds like a waltz. Can anyone help, please. Thank you.
          Thank you, heldenleben, surprised that it is Shostakovich, but on the other hand, I didn’t have a clue who might have written it. I’m most grateful to you.
          Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
            Thank you, heldenleben, surprised that it is Shostakovich, but on the other hand, I didn’t have a clue who might have written it. I’m most grateful to you.
            Pleasure - DSCH had a talent for lighter music e,g, his jazz suites . He did have a habit of recycling it though.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

That tune is played on Classic FM at least twice every day.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

I first heard the whole Jazz Suite No 2 (which includes the Waltz No 2) when Rostropovich and the LSO played it at a Barbican concert, coupled with the Leningrad Symphony, in 1988 and broadcast on R3. It became an instant hit for me with the whole suite chock full of earworms. My recording of that concert disappeared long ago but I bought the Chailly disc when it came out and loved it all over again.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Parry1912
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  and always - Spiral
                  We’ve just caught up with this. We’re on series 2 now.
                  Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                    We’ve just caught up with this. We’re on series 2 now.
                    ... I think Spiral gets better and better from then on - series five and six absolutely on fire...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... I think Spiral gets better and better from then on - series five and six absolutely on fire...
                      Agreed!

Of current offerings, Baptiste is in a different league to Professor T (very familiar though some of the main locations in the latter are… )
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                      X