• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
    Explain, please.
    from all that I have read and heard....some universities [most?] do not see it as satisfactory....and it is generally thought that the subjects included do not reflect what is necessary for a 'modern' rounded student....that to a certain extent it is irrelevant within the wider context of superior education for those of high aspiration,and useless too to those of lower aspirations....No Links I'm afraid ,but they should not be that difficult to find....but my view comes from my digest of media....
    bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...rushed-in.html....his may be the same link as Calum's [which is not working for me]

The new way of ranking schools - the proportion of pupils who achieve grades A*-C in five core subjects, the English baccalaureate - draws a mixed response.

....Looking about, it maybe that I have misunderstood information re bacca' [via my brain]....
      Last edited by eighthobstruction; 12-09-11, 18:52.
      bong ching

Comment

• Anna

I may be wrong but I thought the plus side of the Bacc was that you didn't get it unless you passed the other modules in it but had to have 5 GCSE with grades A-C which must include a foreign language and a humanity as well as maths. Labour said foreign languages were optional after age of 14 and this Bacc is to get pupils gaining modern languages again plus a humanity which very few do and a decent maths grade.

However, as I said I may have got the wrong end of the stick but I thought it was an additional rather than a substitute qualification for any GCSE, i.e., best of both worlds?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

Yes, I think I thought it was a substitute....[I think]....
          bong ching

Comment

• Mahlerei

Anna, eighthobstruction

Gove's English Baccalaureate is quite separate from the International version, which is taken after GCSEs. The IB has a wide range of options and, in my view, is preferable to the hothouse that A levels now represent, with so many teachers simply coaching students to pass their exams.

My daughter's school is offering the IB and after much discussion with the head and teaching staff I'm comfortable with the IB as a viable, more enriching alternative to A levels.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
              • Nov 2010

Is Gove still a T****r though ????
              bong ching

Comment

• Mahlerei

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                Is Gove still a T****r though ????
                That goes without saying

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Any links ??....besides the missing type....
                  bong ching

Comment

• amateur51

Wasn't entirely sure where to post this, but ....

Public spending on education in the UK is falling at the fastest rate since the 1950s, says the Institute for Fiscal Studies.

Public spending on education in the UK is falling at the fastest rate since the 1950s, says the Institute for Fiscal Studies.

As a share of national income, the IFS is projecting that public spending on education will fall close to the level of the late-1990s - when it dipped to 4.5%. It had not previously been at such a low level since the early 1960s.

The IFS warns that the biggest long-term losers could be early years support, youth services and 16-to-19 education in England. They will lose an estimated 20%, but unlike universities, the IFS suggests their cuts will not be offset by private funding.

A separate report from the Unite union has also highlighted concerns about the loss of youth services.

The union, which carried out a Freedom of Information search of councils in England and Wales, says that one in five youth centres are set to shut down next year.

Is anyone in government, minister or civil servant, aware of the connection between loss of youth service provision and crime? This has to be one of the most criminally stupid things that this government has done. I've written to my MP, who is a LibDem education minister, previously about this and I can feel another e-mail coming on

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Not much chance of any change of heart from this lot and their fellow travellers !
                      If we have Gove in charge who can't tell the difference between his arse and his elbow we really are in a mess
                      Cameron and his chums simply don't believe in state education, the people they met from state schools at University were strange creatures from another planet, they really don't get it at all ............ and theres not much hope in the Labour party either

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

...food for thought here ...
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                          ...food for thought here ...
                          That obviously explains why I am a genius

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

and so you are S_A so you are ....
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                              and so you are S_A so you are ....
                              Takes one to know one, they say

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

i have nothing to declare .....

Comment

Working...
                                X