Uswitch if you want: the gentleman's NOT for switching.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Uswitch if you want: the gentleman's NOT for switching.

Uswitch was a useful aid to deciding on which service to change to, I found in the past. The problem is that they have been emailing me regularly ever since I decided to stay with my existing electricity and gas supplier, telling me (in a manner of speaking) what a fool I am not to have gone to this or that supplier - whichever, post-decision, seeming to vary from week to week. My existing arrangement was not the one I had previously sought assistance from Uswitch on, on the advice of a friend with considerable lessons learned from previous mistakes in his case - particularly in connection with additional services such as reliability and call centre responsiveness, and in fact I am paying less this year than last for having stayed with them. Going through comparison sites based purely on price does not necessarily guarantee their recommended alternatives, and I so am beginning to get fed up with what is amounting to harassment.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Uswitch was a useful aid to deciding on which service to change to, I found in the past. The problem is that they have been emailing me regularly ever since I decided to stay with my existing electricity and gas supplier, telling me (in a manner of speaking) what a fool I am not to have gone to this or that supplier - whichever, post-decision, seeming to vary from week to week. My existing arrangement was not the one I had previously sought assistance from Uswitch on, on the advice of a friend with considerable lessons learned from previous mistakes in his case - particularly in connection with additional services such as reliability and call centre responsiveness, and in fact I am paying less this year than last for having stayed with them. Going through comparison sites based purely on price does not necessarily guarantee their recommended alternatives, and I so am beginning to get fed up with what is amounting to harassment.
    Can't you 'unsubscribe' to them? Most marketing e-mails usually have a link in very tiny print at the foot of the email which says 'unsubscribe' and if you click on it and tick a box, or whatever, you will not get any more emails from them. I've never used USwitch so don't know for sure if they have this function but it may well be a legal requirement these days.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Can't you 'unsubscribe' to them? Most marketing e-mails usually have a link in very tiny print at the foot of the email which says 'unsubscribe' and if you click on it and tick a box, or whatever, you will not get any more emails from them. I've never used USwitch so don't know for sure if they have this function but it may well be a legal requirement these days.
      It seems I subscribed to their scheme for keeping me informed, though I don't remember having done so. Anyway, I've just opted for not receiving further marketing recommendations for the next six months - we'll see what comes of this (or doesn't).

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

It seems I subscribed to their scheme for keeping me informed, though I don't remember having done so. Anyway, I've just opted for not receiving further marketing recommendations for the next six months - we'll see what comes of this (or doesn't).
        can't you just block them - my mail washer allows me to block emails from any address.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
          can't you just block them - my mail washer allows me to block emails from any address.
          Might try doing that if I get any more.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

If you provided your email address at any stage you will have in effect signed up to receiving messages. As I understand it providing the option to unsubscribe subsequently "at any point" apparently gets round the issue of assumed/default opt-ins. As a general rule I avoid dealing with outfits that use such tactics, not least as I've had mixed results attempting to unsubscribe and annoyance from "sharing" (aka selling)of my details in the past; fortunately my life doesn't seem to need much engagement with such sites.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I just now decided to spam their latest communication, and my server offered me an alternative option to unsubscribe, which I have taken. Thanks very much to you all for the advice.

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

I very occasionally receive emails from Money Saving Expert's Energy Club when it finds me a cheaper electricity tariff. Its a good service and doesn't pester with offers that are of no interest, thus I'd recommend it.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                  I very occasionally receive emails from Money Saving Expert's Energy Club when it finds me a cheaper electricity tariff. Its a good service and doesn't pester with offers that are of no interest, thus I'd recommend it.
                  Thanks, gradus.

Comment

Working...
                  X