• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

The "Hostile Environment" and Sheku Kanneh-Mason

Yet another example of the institutional racism within the Home Office:

British cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason who played at Harry and Megan’s wedding and won a BBC award had his passport cancelled by the Home Office.
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne..._campaign=sfeu
    I understand that this has rather hastily been resolved since the date of publication of the piece but that is no excuse for what was either utter incompetenece, sheer callousness or an unwelcome blend of the two...

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      I understand that this has rather hastily been resolved since the date of publication of the piece but that is no excuse for what was either utter incompetenece, sheer callousness or an unwelcome blend of the two...
      Indeed. The matter was previously featured in The Guardian and The Daily Express. At that stage, Sheku had gone public with the matter since no explanation for the withdrawal was forthcoming from the Home Office. One wonders how many with a less prominent public profile have been similarly affected by such Home Office 'human error'?

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Indeed. The matter was previously featured in The Guardian and The Daily Express. At that stage, Sheku had gone public with the matter since no explanation for the withdrawal was forthcoming from the Home Office. One wonders how many with a less prominent public profile have been similarly affected by such Home Office 'human error'?
        Indeed - although unless I'm missing something here I'd have thought that human error within a ministry would be dependent upon the existence of humans working within it and another human heading it...

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Indeed - although unless I'm missing something here I'd have thought that human error within a ministry would be dependent upon the existence of humans working within it and another human heading it...
          Quite.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

One wonders how many with a less prominent public profile have been similarly affected by such Home Office 'human error'?
            Plus some sort of profound ignorance. If you're going to commit a human error, at least know who you're erring against!
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Plus some sort of profound ignorance. If you're going to commit a human error, at least know who you're erring against!
              And why was his sister OK but he wasn't? Was the human error in fact that both should/would have been rejected and passports cancelled under the current regime?

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

One wonders how many with a less prominent public profile have been similarly affected by such Home Office 'human error'?
                That's the bit that worries me.

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                  • Aug 2014

Mr Kanneh-Mason's case may or may not have been an unwitting mistake, but at the bottom of the article is another link which does seem to point unequivocally to institutional racism:

A young man has described the trauma and loss of growing up in the UK, only to be rejected by the Home Office when he applied for citizenship.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
                    Mr Kanneh-Mason's case may or may not have been an unwitting mistake, but at the bottom of the article is another link which does seem to point unequivocally to institutional racism:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...olange-273826/
                    Indeed, and I fear that Linden's case is but the tip of an iceberg.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...olange-273826/
                      Appalling. Why am I not surprised?

Comment

• mikealdren
                        • Nov 2010

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne..._campaign=sfeu
                        I don't know whether it's institutional racism or simply incompetence but it does worry me that some of our public sector organisations are in such a mess.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                          I don't know whether it's institutional racism or simply incompetence but it does worry me that some of our public sector organisations are in such a mess.
                          It's both those and a great deal more. Being understaffed doesn't help but there seems to be a longstanding agenda to pick off "foreigners" of all kinds which the hostile environment has fuelled by giving the actions the ring of public approval. I've been aware of the malignancy and catch 22 nature of the actions for many years from incidents that have happened in my neck of the woods, and also personal experience of the attitude to even legit white "foreigners" (solved by membership of the EU...) but I do think that most people are blissfully unaware or if they see reports of something think it is an isolated incident; Windrush is assumed to be largely done and dusted, and the links of the HO with some well publicised DWP mistakes is ignored.
                          Consultants and other medical staff, researchers, academics (locally and nationally) have fallen foul of the HO and struggled, to get their cases resolved, with differing levels of success. They are the tip of an iceberg as they are articulate and have the backing and help of their employers and others to fight their corner, but for each one of them there will be many others without that support who get stuck in no-mans land, fall through the cracks, or end up leaving - which of course is a positive outcome for the HO.
                          A major problem is the sheer power the HO has - if their computer says "No" that's it, regardless of whether the decision is incorrect, based on false evidence or whatever. If the HO has your original documents, including passports, but says it doesn't or refuses to release them or, as in this case cancels a passport, what do you do? Without them you are deemed illegal and cannot use any part of the system - health, housing, jobs etc.
                          The HO is known to be "not fit for purpose" but there seems to be no will - or ability? -to change that situation.
                          https://www.theguardian.com/politics...he-home-office is a long article and doesn't make for comfortable or reassuring reading.
                          We have already seen the problems of artists from abroad being unable to get necessary permissions from the HO and thus being prevented from performing in the UK, and now not being booked in the first place due to too much uncertainty about the admin being correct and timely, but the admin fall-out from Brexit is likely to bring far more people uncomfortably close to the activities of the HO. Personally I have no confidence that will prove a force for change since the cases that have made national news haven't shown any signs of doing so. The Kanneh-Mason incident highlights what happens and is embarrassing for a short while to the HO but its quick resolution gives a false impression of the real-life experience for most and enables it to be quickly lost - with government blessing to all intents and purposes.
                          Apologies for the rant, but it concerns me; I think it no coincidence that Priti Patel has the backing of the PM et al, she encapsulates the essence of the HO departmental workings(ie not necessarily the employees) as far as I am concerned - unintelligent, ignorant, enjoying too much the power to wreck people's lives, and seeing no reason to change.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            Apologies for the rant, but it concerns me; I think it no coincidence that Priti Patel has the backing of the PM et al, she encapsulates the essence of the HO departmental workings(ie not necessarily the employees) as far as I am concerned - unintelligent, ignorant, enjoying too much the power to wreck people's lives, and seeing no reason to change.
                            No apologies necessary; the whole hostile environment thing is deeply disturbing, but even more so where it's being driven by an individual whose family arrived here as refugees from the Amin regime. I can't see the vicious, vacuous Patel as anything more than a deeply twisted individual, but then she's only one of a large number in the current government.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

I can't quite face posting a link and I expect those with televisions have already seen it, but Priti Patel has had a special 'police style' jacket made (which she wears when accompanying Home Office raids) with HOME SECRETARY on it. It seems as egregious as Lord Frost's union jack socks which he wore when negotiating with EU officials.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X