X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Another thing I used to do, during spells of unemployment in the early 1970s and again mid 1980s, was to treat myself to an LP every time I went for yet another hopeless job interview / ... / even now I'll have a quiet laugh to myself when I remember all those companies where I had the interviews. Where are they now? All long gone but those LPs live on!
    ... that is such a good story - heart-warming, I think

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I remember going into G[aleries] L[afayette] with my mother years ago when we were actually after a humble packet of rubber bands. I suddenly spotted one thrown away on the floor and picked it up. Then there was another. And another. And another. Having gained a pocketful of discarded rubber bands, we made our exit.
    ... and another good 'un!

I like the memorable incongruity of place of some acquisitions - picking up Michael Levey's Painting in Eighteenth Century Venice in a a market in Béjaïa, a facsimile of Johnson's Dictionary in Riyadh, Matisse et son temps in Port-Vila ...

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I had to read that twice to tease out the meaning On the other hand, I remember going into GL with my mother years ago when we were actually after a humble packet of rubber bands. I suddenly spotted one thrown away on the floor and picked it up. Then there was another. And another. And another. Having gained a pocketful of discarded rubber bands, we made our exit.

Sorry, the glass of red wine got included by accident when I added the bold. It seemed appropriate to leave it.
      A trail of rubber bands - 'cherchez le facteur'?

Comment

Working...
      X