X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Michael (Barry) Bukht RIP

Michael Bukht was an extraordinarily successful broadcaster and executive who, sadly, could have been said to have worked himself to death.

He was responsible for two of the most successful stations in British commercial broadcasting, Capitol and Classic FM. The latter particularly seemed to emerge from the womb fully grown and with a format that has hardly altered in twenty years of broadcasting.

He was a very successful TV chef on the Food Programme (long before this genre disappeared up its onw recess) when he styled himself as Michael Barry - the crafty cook. He'd only stumbled on this additional career when he filled in for the regular cookery slot while he was the Controller at Capitol. He enjoyed it so much that regular occupant was not asked back.

I saw him in action once, briefly, on a visit to Classic FM. He occupied a central desk in the open plan production area, accessible to everyone. Whenever he needed to get to grips with a particular problem he'd stick a post-in note on his forehead saying 'I'm busy' or such.

Michael Bukht, who died on August 4 aged 69, founded Classic FM, Britain's first national commercial radio station, but was better known to television viewers as the "crafty cook" Michael Barry, for 17 years a presenter on the BBC programme Food and Drink.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I remember him as TV chef Michael Barry and was amazed to discover (many years later) he was also Michael Bukht, founder of Classic FM, and one of the almost anonymous big wheels of the media industry.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I also remember him as the TV chef and he's the last man I would have associated with CFM, wearing a different hat obviously.

Comment

Working...
      X