X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roslynmuse
    • Jul 2011

Honor Sheppard (1931 - 2021)

The soprano Honor Sheppard died at the weekend, aged 89. She was in the 1960s a member of the Deller Consort, and she can be heard on a number of recordings with the group, including music by Purcell and Handel. She can also be heard on Boult's recording of Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony. She made a number of recordings with her late husband, the harpsichordist (and former Head of Keyboard Studies at the Royal Northern College of Music) Robert Elliott.
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
    The soprano Honor Sheppard died at the weekend, aged 89.
    Another little known unsung hero who contributed her share to her music. Hear her voice one last time.

Two songs here by sung Honor Sheppard.This has been uploaded here for posterity.The quality of the recording is poor as has been recorded from an unknown sou...

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
      Another little known unsung hero who contributed her share to her music. Hear her voice one last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ8szwl3qAY
      Thanks for posting the link. I haven't been able to identify the songs - poems by Hilaire Belloc (famously set by Warlock) and Robert Burns - does anyone know them? I did wonder if the first was by Thomas Pitfield - she and Robert lived in what had been Pitfield's house in Bowdon, previously owned by Hans Richter.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Just had a listen to the Deller Consort on Youtube singing madgrigals around a table. OK, the top-line is a bit vibrato-laden by today's standards, but my word they certainly espouse lovely control of dynamics and rhythm. Dated, yes, but admirable for its time.

Video footage of the famed Deller Consort performing several English madrigals for French television in 1964. The Consort was originally founded in 1948 by t...

Comment

• Roslynmuse
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Just had a listen to the Deller Consort on Youtube singing madgrigals around a table. OK, the top-line is a bit vibrato-laden by today's standards, but my word they certainly espouse lovely control of dynamics and rhythm. Dated, yes, but admirable for its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9ivGPqjAog
          And pretty much pioneers in this repertoire, at least as far as the wider listening public was concerned.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Roslynmuse, I know the singers in the Deller Consort changed quite frequently, but did you spot Honor Sheppard in the clip above?

And pretty much pioneers in this repertoire
            There was an earlier group called The Golden Age Singers, founded around 1950 by Margaret Field-Hyde. As students we unearthed a record (LP? Shellac 78?) and were generally dismissive of it in an amused way. But they too were pioneers in the..er...field. If anyone can find a clip, it would be interesting to hear.

PS Found one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv61...C2Bx4J&index=2
            Last edited by ardcarp; 04-06-21, 21:18.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Roslynmuse, I know the singers in the Deller Consort changed quite frequently, but did you spot Honor Sheppard in the clip above?

There was an earlier group called The Golden Age Singers, founded around 1950 by Margaret Field-Hyde. As students we unearthed a record (LP? Shellac 78?) and were generally dismissive of it in an amused way. But they too were pioneers in the..er...field. If anyone can find a clip, it would be interesting to hear.

PS Found one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv61...C2Bx4J&index=2
              Yes, Honor is the sop on the left, Mary Thomas on the right (the person who posted it is mistaken in saying that April Cantelo is singing on this video, although they did not look dissimilar. April left before Honor joined.)

I rather enjoyed the tremulous sounds of The Golden Age Sinners, er, Singers. I wonder how much the sound of the old recordings contributes to our perception of a dated performance style? Well, that and the vibrato...

Comment

• AndyTenor
                • Jun 2021

Hi it is both sad and good to find some mention of Honor Sheppard's passing here. Sad that she is gone , but good because she was a fine soprano who made a contribution to the musical life of the UK and a reawakening of interest in early & baroque music. I never met Honor to my knowledge , although I did come across Robert Elliot her husband when I studying at RNCM. Later I know that Honor taught at the college for some time too. You also mention April Cantelo who I knew well as she was one of my repertoire coaches. She is still with us, in her nineties, and sometimes I have worked in production with her past pupils. In fact we sent each other a message or two over the years.
                You mention questions of vibrato and performance practice. I would say that both Honor and April's use of vibrato reflects a healthy breath support and resonant sound. Certainly in baroque music or anything else for that matter we wouldn't want vibrato to be intrusive or obscure the pitch, but then that was never the case with these two ladies whatever they sang.
                For some time now professional singers who work in the baroque field also sing other repertoires. Back in the late 80s when I was studying singers were still often catergorized 'a baroque voice' etc.
                Baroque and early music bursts with life & energy. It certainly doesn't seem to have been written to sing with a 'flattened out' sound and where are the contemporary writings that tell us it was so? I believe that we have now reached the middle ground on this 'vibrato' question- use as suitable to the vocal line , words and context, but nothing excessive . That is just healthy singing after all.
                It was mentioned in you tube comments on one of her recordings that an obituary of Honor Sheppard would appear in The Times, I took a look , but couldn't spot anything yet. All the best.

Comment

Working...
                X