X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    Yes, Marmite is still made in Burton and the yeasty aroma still much in evidence. I worked for some years in the town and my next door neighbour is a manager at Coors Brewery.

Back on topic, I used to see Humphrey Burton quite often at the Proms in the 1970s. Surprised that no-one has mentioned 'The Golden Ring', his documentary on Solti's recording of Götterdämmerung which is still thrilling television nearly 60 years on. Nothing like this would ever get made today.
    Wasn’t there a marmite shortage recently because of the brewing cutback?
    Last edited by cloughie; 23-05-21, 14:25.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Wasn’t there a marmite shortage recently
      Not so long ago the Marmite pot label used to advise 'spread thinly', but I guess nowadays any firm wanting to maximise its sales would balk at doing such a thing.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        Not so long ago the Marmite pot label used to advise 'spread thinly', but I guess nowadays any firm wanting to maximise its sales would balk at doing such a thing.
        Similar to the energy provision sector a few years back, where you contributed more CO2 to the atmosphere when paying less for the more you used.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

The last jar I bought had a label with one of those hypnotic white-on-black spirals on the side and the words: You don't hate it. You love it.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... Jeremiah Colman was once asked to sum up the secret of his success and how he made a fortune out of such a humble thing as mustard. His reply was that he made his money from the mustard that people left on the sides of their plate. There just has to be a moral there somewhere.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Burton on Trent (where my eldest daughter was born...of all places!) used to be, maybe still is, where Marmite was made. At certain times the whole town has a yeasty aroma...not exactly unpleasant. Love it or hate it, I suppose.
              I remember that smell while being driven past. And I too was born there.

Comment

• Zucchini
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                I remember that smell while being driven past. And I too was born there.
                You can have it under your armpits too:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                  You can have it under your armpits too:

That should be re-named "Clear Off!"

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

...and should definitely be labelled 'spread thinly'.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Burton on Trent (where my eldest daughter was born...of all places!) used to be, maybe still is, where Marmite was made. At certain times the whole town has a yeasty aroma...not exactly unpleasant. Love it or hate it, I suppose.

Even less relevant to this thread, the parish church used to have an original Hope Jones organ...presumably long gone.
                      According to the church's website the 1899 Hope Jones organ was replaced in 1972 with parts now in the Lancastrian Theatre Organ Trust museum in Manchester.

http://www.theburtonthree.com/st-modwens-church/ includes specifications of that and the present Norman and Beard organ.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

A belated happy birthday to Humphrey Burton. I remember when he broadcast BBC YMotY, and the Duchess of Kent, gave out the prizes to the finalists. Those were the days!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                        X