• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Humphrey Burton at 90

Some may feel in need of some good news about the BBC...

Including Sports Desk, Weather and Thought for the Day.

...about 1hr22min from start.

Humphrey Burton is publishing a book In My Own Time. He talked about the BBC in the 1960s as being 'confident and unapologetic' and how they were prepared to have the LSO playing symphonies on prime time TV. The Reithian mantra 'to educate' still applied. Leonard Bernstein is discussed, especially that notorious recording of West Side Story and the spat with José Carreras.

Well done BBC then, and well done now for putting this item on a major (and otherwise deeply depressing) news programme.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

That could be the origin of the phrase: "Gone for a Burton".

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      That could be the origin of the phrase: "Gone for a Burton".
      He’s not gone yet!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        He’s not gone yet!

Actually now I think about it, "Gone for a Burton" actually referred to that time when Burtons was the place to go for a new suit. So, in some inane sense, it did have something to do with - wait for it - suitability!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Actually now I think about it, "Gone for a Burton" actually referred to that time when Burtons was the place to go for a new suit. So, in some inane sense, it did have something to do with - wait for it - suitability!
          Time to jacket in, methinks!

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

No. You cloughie!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Y' can't beat it, can you?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

It actually refers to a pint of beer. Burton on Trent (not a million miles from me and a town I know well) still is a major brewing town and the home of many beers. Hence 'Gone for a Burton' is to go for a beer.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  It actually refers to a pint of beer. Burton on Trent (not a million miles from me and a town I know well) still is a major brewing town and the home of many beers. Hence 'Gone for a Burton' is to go for a beer.
                  Absolutely. Excellent exposition here......
                  We seek, with some success, the origin of the British expression Gone for a Burton.

Speaking of our beloved BBC, under such predictably outrageous and unjustified oh-so-Tory-Tabloid-Royals attack as it is, don't miss the BBC4 Delia Derbyshire feature I linked to on the TV Programs thread...
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 22-05-21, 18:11.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Burton on Trent (where my eldest daughter was born...of all places!) used to be, maybe still is, where Marmite was made. At certain times the whole town has a yeasty aroma...not exactly unpleasant. Love it or hate it, I suppose.

Even less relevant to this thread, the parish church used to have an original Hope Jones organ...presumably long gone.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      Burton on Trent (where my eldest daughter was born...of all places!) used to be, maybe still is, where Marmite was made. At certain times the whole town has a yeasty aroma...not exactly unpleasant. Love it or hate it, I suppose.

Even less relevant to this thread, the parish church used to have an original Hope Jones organ...presumably long gone.
                      Coore blimey! Did you sing Bass in the choir?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

In my view Humphrey Burton encapsulates something we have lost from Arts broadcasting - a determination not to be niche, to cover the very best , to reach out to new audiences ( both on LWT as presenter of Aquarius and as a distinguished doc maker for the Beeb ). He did not always get it right but the TV world is crying out for figures of his stature. It is common knowledge he has not been well and it is great that he is still with us and so productive.

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Nope. Sadder Budweiser.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

Yes, Marmite is still made in Burton and the yeasty aroma still much in evidence. I worked for some years in the town and my next door neighbour is a manager at Coors Brewery.

Back on topic, I used to see Humphrey Burton quite often at the Proms in the 1970s. Surprised that no-one has mentioned 'The Golden Ring', his documentary on Solti's recording of Götterdämmerung which is still thrilling television nearly 60 years on. Nothing like this would ever get made today.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

We owe Humphrey Burton a great debt of thanks. Shame on ITV for axing Melvyn's South Bank Show which made such a valuable contribution over the years - and credit to Sky Arts for just about keeping it alive. Alan Yentob is still providing some good stuff for Imagine.

Comment

Working...
                              X