X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Masterpieces? Probably not, but ....

I derive a great deal of pleasure from recordings of works which don't perhaps get as much attention as they deserve. While they're not among the greatest compositions, I still think they're worth listening to. I've recently acquired CDs of Stravinsky's early Symphony in E flat and Bruckner's Symphony No. '0'. I also enjoy works by Nordic composers such as Svendsen, and am currently engaged in an enjoyable exploration of works by contemporaries of Mozart.
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

20th century light music, the accompaniment to my infancy and childhood that still holds my affections.

Comment

• hmvman
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      20th century light music, the accompaniment to my infancy and childhood that still holds my affections.

Also: much music by Respighi.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

I've got 5 CDs of light music conducted by Ronald Corp (Hyperion). How I miss Brian Kay's programme!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          I've got 5 CDs of light music conducted by Ronald Corp (Hyperion). How I miss Brian Kay's programme!
          Some lovely tunes amongst the content therein.

Two other masterpieces are a couple of symphonies by Spaniard Arriaga and Czech Vorisek, both interestingly or maybe just coincidentally in D!

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Some lovely tunes amongst the content therein.

Two other masterpieces are a couple of symphonies by Spaniard Arriaga and Czech Vorisek, both interestingly or maybe just coincidentally in D!

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Some of Vanhal's symphonies are worth a spin (or whatever the current expression is).

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

More should be done in this genre. Companies such as Chandos, could do a lot for it here.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                  • Nov 2010

Some of Vanhal's symphonies are worth a spin (or whatever the current expression is).
                  A spin is fine with me!

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

So many choices - a listen?

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      So many choices - a listen?
                      I have a Chandos recording with the LMP under Mathias Bamert, but I know Naxos have also recorded some of his symphonies.
                      Some of Nielsen's possibly less well known orchestral works - Helios, Pan and Syrinx to name but two - are well worth investigating if you're unfamiliar with them, and the same goes for Sibelius, especially the works for the stage.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

I have a Chandos recording with the LMP under Mathias Bamert, but I know Naxos have also recorded some of his symphonies.
                        Some of Nielsen's possibly less well known orchestral works - Helios, Pan and Syrinx to name but two - are well worth investigating if you're unfamiliar with them, and the same goes for Sibelius, especially the works for the stage.
                        I have the Chandos and several of the Naxos discs. I also explored some of his chamber music. Vanhal made his living as an independent musician, relying primarily on sales to the public, apparently never having any significant royal patronage. He also apparently may have been bipolar. My impression was that there was variability in the quality of his output, some real gems mixed in with silt. One gets the impression of a talent that may have been overtaxed to put bread on the table and wasn't as fecund as Mozart or Haydn.
                        Another one with exploring, also covered in that Chandos series with Bamert, is Myslivicek, who was greatly respected by Mozart. Besides his Symphonies, I have a disc of Violin Concertos, but the most interest stuff imo is his Harmoniemusik compositions, written for the same type of forces that would have played Mozart's Gran Partitia. Dieter Klocker released a multi disc collection featuring few of these, along with works by other (less impressive, imo) forgotten composers of the era. None are unforgettable masterpieces, but they are all entertaining and interesting, and I think that was the intent of this thread.
                        The Great is the Enemy of The Good. So many interesting Composers have been blotted out by the brightest suns of the past. WE are fortunate to be living in an age where a lot other output is being rediscovered and recorded
                        Last edited by richardfinegold; 06-05-21, 15:39.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

There’s that Nielsen Imaginary journey thing as well.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            I have the Chandos and several of the Naxos discs. I also explored some of his chamber music. Vanhal made his living as an independent musician, relying primarily on sales to the public, apparently never having any significant royal patronage. He also apparently may have been bipolar. My impression was that there was variability in the quality of his output, some real gems mixed in with silt. One gets the impression of a talent that may have been overtaxed to put bread on the table and wasn't as fecund as Mozart or Haydn.
                            Another one with exploring, also covered in that Chandos series with Bamert, is Myslivicek, who was greatly respected by Mozart. Besides his Symphonies, I have a disc of Violin Concertos, but the most interest stuff imo is his Harmoniemusik compositions, written for the same type of forces that would have played Mozart's Gran Partitia. Dieter Klocker released a multidisciplinary collection featuring few of these, along with works by other (less impressive, imo) forgotten composers of the era. None are unforgettable masterpieces, but they are all entertaining and interesting, and I think that was the intent of this thread.
                            The Great is the Enemy of The Good. So many interesting Composers have been blotted out by the brightest suns of the past. WE are fortunate to be living in an age where a lot other output is being rediscovered and recorded
                            Thank you - very interesting! I have a 1990 Panton CD comprising works by Myslivecek (a Sinfonia and a Divertimento), Tuma and Kozeluh. It's definitely time I started investigating more recordings of works by Mozart's contemporaries. And there's lot more Nordic stuff waiting our there!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Pleased to see these works getting some promotion, but I would have thought Sibelius' Pelleas and Melisande and Tempest Suites were pretty much masterpieces? So atmospheric, so haunting. Once heard..... I think they're among his greatest music - like a sequence of "miniature masterpieces".
                              A few fine recordings on BIS and Chandos etc now, Vanska the reference, but I still love the Berglund and Jalas recordings of each.

Could say the same for Nielsen, especially Pan and Syrinx. Reminds one of Sibelius' The Bard. Remarkable piece. But as is well known, I tend to feel that almost everything Nielsen wrote was masterpiece... wonderful overtures and interludes from Saul and David, Maskarade. So catchy - pop-classic-Nielsen. But always very original too.
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 07-05-21, 01:26.

Comment

Working...
                              X