X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    They are heavier than regular bikes because of the electric gubbins but are rideable sans electricity.
    I'd certainly recommend getting one as they make light work of steep hills (very relevant for S_A's locale) and the power assistance on the Bosch system - others too I think - can be varied form little to the full 250 or more watts which can get even the least fit cycling up steep hills in a high-ish gear whilst remaining seated.
    Mine is no longer made as the company, Ave, went bust although the name has reappeared. It was given to me by a friend 3 years ago when he upgraded to a more recent model.
    Indeed Nick Armstrong recommended me getting one a few years back when electric bikes were a topic of discussion, and I can see the advantages, especially given how valuable my regular bike's been, both physically - since I haven't used public transport at all for over a year now - and psychologically. But I am now getting to a point where 20 miles is about my limit for a day, and that final climb home is sometimes too much without disembarking.

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      Getting the heart pumping a bit is surely one of the benefits of regular cycling.

can be varied form little to the full 250 or more watts which can get even the least fit cycling up steep hills in a high-ish gear whilst remaining seated.
      With a reasonable basic level of fitness, and a certain amount of training to keep in condition, 250W is easily within the compass of most adults without the need of artificial aids!

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

With a reasonable basic level of fitness, and a certain amount of training to keep in condition, 250W is easily within the compass of most adults without the need of artificial aids!
        Yes - but for how long?

I remember years ago going to the Science Museum and trying to light a 20 watt light bulb on a bicycle they had connected there. It was hard, and I was considerably younger and hopefully fitter.

In some locations an electric bike could be very helpful - even for some rather fit people, though I'm not sure if they'd get up the road to Applecross.

Do electric bikes only drain power or do they do recharge as well? I guess probably not, but with EVs the recharge and regenerative braking has significant effects.

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

You might try :: Highway Cycles
          9b Gt. Northern Wrks, Hartham Lane
          SG14 1QN Hertford

They are a dealer for Bosch e-bike batteries, and have a diagnostic tool for servicing - if you're in the neighbourhood that is.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Unfortunately I managed to damage my knees with too much running and anything that gets me exercising without too much pressure on the knee is very welcome.

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
              You might try :: Highway Cycles
              9b Gt. Northern Wrks, Hartham Lane
              SG14 1QN Hertford

They are a dealer for Bosch e-bike batteries, and have a diagnostic tool for servicing - if you're in the neighbourhood that is.
              Many thanks, I'll try them.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

I just chanced on this article, looking through online newspapers:

Best electric bike 2021

I see that the Best Buy is powered by Bosch, though.

Comment

Working...
                X