X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Ergonomic mice

Decided to try one of these ergonomic mice - here an Anker - to see if they are easier to use than Apple's magic mouse - https://uk.anker.com/products/a7852?...37339874295972

Amazon have had them fairly cheaply recently. I'm not sure so far whether I prefer this to a regular Apple Magic mouse, though it does feel comfortable, and it also seems to solve one problem with MacOS - scrolling down a list of emails is easier without having to try to compensate for the sideways movement which Apple seem to include as a feature for anyone who chooses to use only one finger for scrolling.

In fact I have wondered that if this is so comfortable should I also buy a similar left hand model, even though I'm not left handed, I can do quite a lot of things with my left hand and at times it might be easy to have a choice. The Jelly Comb mouse looks very similar, though reversed for the left hand - https://amazon.co.uk/Jelly-Comb-Left...ef=sr_1_1_sspa

Has anyone else tried any of these things?

As I don't so far have major RSI problems I'm not sure if these are helpful or not - but other people who have tried them might have more considered views.
  • cat
    • May 2019

Yes, I have tried one. I said so in your other thread on this subject so I won't repeat myself here.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Decided to try one of these ergonomic mice - here an Anker - to see if they are easier to use than Apple's magic mouse
      I stick to the ordinary wired mouse (and wired keyboard). I don't find them too tiring to use . Do the ergonomics have any other advantage?
      Last edited by french frank; 21-04-21, 15:43.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cat View Post
        Yes, I have tried one. I said so in your other thread on this subject so I won't repeat myself here.
        That would be a cat and mouse story.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cat View Post
          Thanks. I thought I'd already done another thread, but I couldn't find it. Sounds as though you are giving these a thumbs up - and I certainly find the Anker one comfortable to use.

I'll need to figure out the buttons though, but the scroll wheel is good and solves one Apple problem.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          I stick to the ordinary wired mouse (and wired keyboard). I don't find them too tiring to use . Do the ergonomics have any other advantage?
          There is a wired version of the Anker - though right now the wireless version is hardly much more expensive, and apparently it turns off automatically if not used for a few seconds, so batteries shouldn't run down quickly.
          I think there are some advantages - these are certainly comfortable. I can't really speak for everyone else - but I doubt that they'll feel worse than a regular mouse.

There are others, though they look quite similar. If you need a left handed one there's the Jelly Comb one, and there is a rechargeable one which can do finer resolution - the DPI factor - though I'm not sure how that really affects things.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Hope no-one minds me suggesting that the plural of 'mouse' in the computer sense ought to be 'mouses'. 'Mice' just puts me in mind of rodents as in 'an infestation.....

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I bought a £5 wireless mouse. Works like a dream. You need a spare usb slot for the receiver . I really recommend them. And the cat can have the old wired mouse.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                Hope no-one minds me suggesting that the plural of 'mouse' in the computer sense ought to be 'mouses'. 'Mice' just puts me in mind of rodents as in 'an infestation.....
                I don't mind. The same thought crossed my mind when I saw the thread title, even though "mouses" doesn't really trip off the tongue. Other contentious plurals:

Mongooses/Mongeese?
                still-lifes/still-lives?

Comment

• Frances_iom
                  • Mar 2007

I just use the cheap £1 wired mice available from Poundland

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Looked in Poundland this afternoon to see if I could pick one up for comparison. They didn't have anything that I could see, though I did get a watering can - which was what I was looking for.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

The Anker ergonomic mouse seems to eat batteries - despite apparently going idle for periods if not pushed around.

Could be a reason to buy either a wired one, or a rechargeable one. I'm still not sure about these things - whether they are any better than standard rodents.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Changing background colours to locate cursor

For a while I have had the original Apple mouse and the Anker apparently operating at the same time. I have thought they might interfere with each other, and at times there are problems with the cursor seeming to disappear. I have also been wondering if there's a process on the computer which is reducing the interaction speed of the mice. I still haven't figured this out. Sometimes it is a real nuisance.

I just noticed something potentially useful - though not as far as I know implemented by an app or within an OS. One program I use a lot has a feature that when a mouse/cursor is dragged over a panel the background colour changes - say from white to pink.
                        This is almost immediately noticeable, and the cursor can easily be spotted when that happens. It would be great if a feature like that could be incorporated in the UI for many systems - it would seem to be far more effective than Apple's own "move the mouse around wildly for a while and the cursor will enlarge" - as that takes time to kick in. However, I don't suppose any system designer with influence is going to notice this suggestion, so it probably won't happen quickly.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          The Anker ergonomic mouse seems to eat batteries - despite apparently going idle for periods if not pushed around.

Could be a reason to buy either a wired one, or a rechargeable one. I'm still not sure about these things - whether they are any better than standard rodents.
                          I've been using this:

for about six months. Bluetooth and rechargeable via USB. I bought it when I invested in a MacBook Pro with Apple's M1 processor. By far the best mouse I've ever used - much better than the Apple one. Completely seamless in operation - and it warns you when it needs to recharged. The downside is the price but, if you shop around, it can be had for a lot less than the list price

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

I don't like mice and never have, my hand tires of them very quickly, although I've been using a laptop since 1991 or thereabouts, so I've hardly ever had to use one at home. The trackpad on my last laptop was malfunctioning for a while before I could afford to replace the machine, so I got myself a Kensington Orbit trackball (the advantage over a mouse being that it stays in one place, which also means that being wired isn't an issue) which I found quite comfortable to use. On the other hand as soon as I acquired a new laptop the trackball found its way to a shelf where it's still gathering dust.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

a Kensington Orbit trackball
                              Sound like part of a Round Britain Quiz question!

Comment

Working...
                              X