X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Prince Philip 1921-2021

Just now announced in an interruption to COTW.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... and all radio channels have to have, not just a bulletin, but a programme on the subject

Comment

• antongould
      • Nov 2010

To quote my Granddaughter “ if he’d lived another year he would have got a letter from his wife .... “

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        To quote my Granddaughter “ if he’d lived another year he would have got a letter from his wife .... “
        Two months really.
        He was someone who knew what his duties were when he joined the royal family. RIP HRH.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... I think that for those for whom the royal family is of marginal significance, listening to the BBC over the next days will be pretty testing

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I think that for those for whom the royal family is of marginal significance, listening to the BBC over the next days will be pretty testing

Indeed, until the state funeral - to be attended only wearing face masks, in groups not exceeding six, socially distanced.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

He and his wife have been around in the news all my life, even though I have never been a great fan of royalty, so it feels like quite a big loss. I have to say that from my youth worker perspective, the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme played a very important part in the life of a significant number of young people that I have known, and the volunteers who helped them, and for that I say thank you to him. My condolences to his wife.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

I'm afraid you're right - wall-to-wall Witchell!

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

And not just the BBC? However the tendency for blanket coverage of "important events" isn't confined to the monarchy, although I agree the level is higher in such cases, and is equally irritating if one has no interest in said event - sport is one such for me.
                  I'm glad he died at home rather than in hospital.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    He and his wife have been around in the news all my life, even though I have never been a great fan of royalty, so it feels like quite a big loss. I have to say that from my youth worker perspective, the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme played a very important part in the life of a significant number of young people that I have known, and the volunteers who helped them, and for that I say thank you to him. My condolences to his wife.
                    From what little I know of the DoE Award Scheme, it would seem the sort of practical basic life and other responsibilities and skills scheme that should have been state rolled out to the entire population as a secular substitute for military conscription of the past, on the one hand, and the Scouts, Cubs, Gird Guides, etc., rather than restricted to the few lucky to have benefitted.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Oh well.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        I'm afraid you're right - wall-to-wall Witchell!
                        That b.....y man in the words of the heir to the throne!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          From what little I know of the DoE Award Scheme, it would seem the sort of practical basic life and other responsibilities and skills scheme that should have been state rolled out to the entire population as a secular substitute for military conscription of the past, on the one hand, and the Scouts, Cubs, Gird Guides, etc., rather than restricted to the few lucky to have benefitted.
                          Taking part in the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme was about choice, I have to say S_A, but we encouraged a wide range of young people in this area to take part, offering a lot of support through mentors and volunteers. I think it remains a very good scheme, but I re-iterate that it was about choice and I liked that about it.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            My father got involved with the Scouts via the local Methodist church when we moved from Norwood to Swindon in the late '50s. He then retrained as a regional youth officer and got heavily involved in the DoE Award Scheme, thus meeting with the DoE on several occasions. There was nothing privileged about selections for the scheme where either was concerned. My father would tour the youth clubs (remember them) in his area of jurisdiction encouraging recruitment to the scheme from all sectors of society. To his dismay, I kept away from the scheme, though I did later participate in the Army Outward Bound course, which emulated some aspects of the scheme.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

A 'Countdown' regular writes: Channel 4 seems to be going its own way at present.

Comment

Working...
                              X