X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    A brand with an appalling reputation regarding parts is Bose. It is reported that not only will they ____ supply replacement parts, such as the tiny hex-keyed crews which hold the 'speakers' to the headband, they will not even reveal the specification of such parts so that third-party alternatives might be used. See, for instance, https://community.bose.com/t5/Headph...ent/td-p/60571 and https://community.bose.com/t5/Around.../208257/page/4
    I think there's a "not" missing somewhere in there, or you are more approving of the products discussed than I divined.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

It's heartening to see how so many people hang on to their headphones for many years; to me they become familiar old friends. I have done a bit of replacing now and then but only in the direction of upgrading, and these days I have two on the go, the aforementioned Beyers and (my last purchase before that) my Sony noise-reducing pair, which are more or less only used for travelling, so they've been sitting untouched in their case for quite a while. I won't be discarding the AKGs though, also I have a few earbuds stored away and indeed a pair of 414s which would probably be serviceable if they had new pads.

Comment

• LHC
        • Jan 2011

I have a pair of Sennheiser 520s, which are still going strong, having had the leather pads replaced. I also have some B&W P3s which I used when I was still commuting. I think I may also have some 414s somewhere, but I think the foam pads have completely perished.
        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Bert
          Banned
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          It's heartening to see how so many people hang on to their headphones for many years; to me they become familiar old friends. I have done a bit of replacing now and then but only in the direction of upgrading, and these days I have two on the go, the aforementioned Beyers and (my last purchase before that) my Sony noise-reducing pair, which are more or less only used for travelling, so they've been sitting untouched in their case for quite a while. I won't be discarding the AKGs though, also I have a few earbuds stored away and indeed a pair of 414s which would probably be serviceable if they had new pads.
          Richard, which Beyerdynamic headphones did you buy? I recently acquired DT-1990. Couldn't work out how to change the pads that came fitted. Wanted to punch walls. Went on YouTube and found a 'How to' video and changed them both in a total of 25 seconds!

Dave 2002, I'm sure this will work in your case too.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bert View Post
            I recently acquired DT-1990. Couldn't work out how to change the pads that came fitted. Wanted to punch walls. Went on YouTube and found a 'How to' video and changed them both in a total of 25 seconds!
            Snap!

The sound is absolutely spectacular though, don't you think? Certainly the best I've ever had.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I think there's a "not" missing somewhere in there, or you are more approving of the products discussed than I divined.
              Oops!

Comment

• Bert
                Banned
                • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                Snap!

The sound is absolutely spectacular though, don't you think? Certainly the best I've ever had.
                I've had them since October. They are superb. Even better (just) than my beloved AKG 702! I would recommend them without reservation to anyone looking for a moderately priced set of over-ear open-back headphones.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                  I have a pair of Sennheiser 520s, which are still going strong, having had the leather pads replaced. I also have some B&W P3s which I used when I was still commuting. I think I may also have some 414s somewhere, but I think the foam pads have completely perished.
                  Pads still available according to the Sennheiser website. (Do let me know if you ever consider getting rid of your 414s.....)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    A brand with an appalling reputation regarding parts is Bose. It is reported that not only will they not supply replacement parts, such as the tiny hex-keyed crews which hold the 'speakers' to the headband, they will not even reveal the specification of such parts so that third-party alternatives might be used. See, for instance, https://community.bose.com/t5/Headph...ent/td-p/60571 and https://community.bose.com/t5/Around.../208257/page/4

I wonder whether Bose might be brought to book by forthcoming legislation re replacement parts for consumer products?
                    They (Bose) really are a despicable bunch. The rechargeable batteries in their nose-cancelling headphones are not replaceable. They just suggest you buy another set when the batteries are worn out.

Comment

• johnb
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                      I've had them since October. They are superb. Even better (just) than my beloved AKG 702! I would recommend them without reservation to anyone looking for a moderately priced set of over-ear open-back headphones.
                      Interesting.

I've just been reading some user comments, comparing them to the Sennheiser HD600s that I have. Common sentiment seems to be that the DT-1990 are very bright, i.e. they have a treble peak. Do you find that to be the case?

Comment

• Bert
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                        Interesting.

I've just been reading some user comments, comparing them to the Sennheiser HD600s that I have. Common sentiment seems to be that the DT-1990 are very bright, i.e. they have a treble peak. Do you find that to be the case?
                        No

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          They (Bose) really are a despicable bunch. The rechargeable batteries in their nose-cancelling headphones are not replaceable. They just suggest you buy another set when the batteries are worn out.
                          There are, however, third-party DIY tuition videos on Youtube, IIRC. The earlier QC25 model used a single AAA cell which was easily changed.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                            Not at all, although I didn't make a direct comparison between the two. The sound seems very "natural" to me, specifically when listening to things I mastered myself.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Many years ago I had a decent pair of mid-range Sennheiser phones. I've forgotten which model. One day I discovered they were consumable in a particular way when our daughter's pet rabbit, which was sometimes allowed to roam free in the living room, gnawed through the cable, rendering them useless.

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                Many years ago I had a decent pair of mid-range Sennheiser phones. I've forgotten which model. One day I discovered they were consumable in a particular way when our daughter's pet rabbit, which was sometimes allowed to roam free in the living room, gnawed through the cable, rendering them useless.
                                We had similar experience with the corners of some loudspeakers which were nibbled by a pet rabbit. The speakers still worked, but they didn't look quite the same afterwards. Cables can usually be fixed - if you have the time and patience, but many of us don't have one or both.

Comment

Working...
                                X