X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Headphones - are they consumables?

Are headphones now very definitely on the list of non sustainable disposable items?

Even the expensive ones?

I had/have an old set of Beyer Dynamic ones which had ear pads which failed. I tried to buy new pads (succeeded), but failed to fit them.
    I think that set of phones is on its way to the dump.

Just noticed that a much cheaper set of Sennheiser phones also has pads which are cracking up. I'm guessing that the manufacturers really don't care,
    but it seems a shame that decent manufacturers don't make headphones with foam ear pads which can be easily replaced after a few years.

Disposable - throw away society - but some of these headphones are quite expensive - over £100!
    [ though not the cheap Sennheiser ones ... Maybe buy from Lidl in future - at least I would expect to throw their stuff after a few years, and it probably wouldn't damage my limbs in the first place ...]
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

Are headphones consumables? It depends - some are some aren't.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones over 20 years ago. That model is still highly regarded, is still in production and parts are readily available. Over that time I've replaced the ear cushions, headband cushions and the lead.

Comment

• johnb
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I tried to buy new pads (succeeded), but failed to fit them.
      I'm sure you have already checked it out but the BeyerDynamic website has instructions about replacing headphone ear pads, at least for certain models, e.g. https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc/...g-the-ear-pads

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by johnb View Post
        I'm sure you have already checked it out but the BeyerDynamic website has instructions about replacing headphone ear pads, at least for certain models, e.g. https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc/...g-the-ear-pads
        Recently I bought a new pair of Beyerdynamic headphones which came with two different pairs of earpads with different acoustic characteristics, and I decided to take off the ones they were supplied with (with enhanced bass response, which I don't want, given that the headphones are for professional use) and replace them with the others. It wasn't at all easy (but why should it be? you don't want them falling off) and the instructions weren't entirely clear, but I managed it with a few deep breaths to improve my patience. Any good pair of headphones from serious manufacturers like Sennheiser or AKG or Beyer will have mostly replaceable parts. So in answer to the original question: no.

Comment

• mikealdren
          • Nov 2010

Recently I 've replaced the headband padding on my Sennheiser HD650s, cheap and easy. I've also replaced the cable and the foam pads on my venerable HD414s, they must be nearly 50 years old now!
          My much loved Yamaha phones are failing however and I don't think parts were ever available.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
            Thanks. That might be helpful - I”ve still not thrown my earlier set away, so if I find time and a great deal of patience I might be able to fix them. They are DTX 900s. Unfortunately in my earlier attempt at fixing, a wire came loose, so a bit of soldering would also be needed. I’m now reasonably happy with their replacement, so arguably - if I cost out my time - not to mention the associated blue smoke - it might not be worth the effort.

Comment

• Lordgeous
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
              Recently I 've replaced the headband padding on my Sennheiser HD650s, cheap and easy. I've also replaced the cable and the foam pads on my venerable HD414s, they must be nearly 50 years old now!
              I've never understood why the excellent 414s were discontinued; cheap comfortable and great sounding. From the web: "In 1970 I bought a pair of HD414s to replace my Pioneer closed-back phones, and moving up to the Sennheisers was a revelation. A lot of people felt the same way, and Sennheiser sold more than 10,000,000 HD414s, making it the best-selling quality headphone of all time. Although it was designed as a consumer model, the HD414 was very popular with broadcast industry professionals." Why stop if they were selling so many???

Comment

• Keraulophone
                • Nov 2010

Stax refer to their headphones as ‘earspeakers’. These are seriously good electrostatic non-consumables. I recently replaced the valves in the dedicated ‘energiser’ (headphone amplifier) and these earspeakers are sounding better than ever. All kinds of official and after-market spare parts are available, some even 3D-printed.

Comment

• mikealdren
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                  I've never understood why the excellent 414s were discontinued; cheap comfortable and great sounding. From the web: "In 1970 I bought a pair of HD414s to replace my Pioneer closed-back phones, and moving up to the Sennheisers was a revelation. A lot of people felt the same way, and Sennheiser sold more than 10,000,000 HD414s, making it the best-selling quality headphone of all time. Although it was designed as a consumer model, the HD414 was very popular with broadcast industry professionals." Why stop if they were selling so many???
                  I resurrected mine from the attic after reminiscing with a friend. They sound ok but times have moved on and they are not as revelatory as I remembered or as comfortable.

Revisiting old hifi is interesting, some things have moved on enormously over the years and yet some recordings from years gone bye still sound good. LPs can sound good too although I'm not very tolerant of the associated clicks and bumps. I've been surprised how some early CDs that I didn't rate highly when I first bought them sound much better on my improved CD system.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

A brand with an appalling reputation regarding parts is Bose. It is reported that not only will they not supply replacement parts, such as the tiny hex-keyed crews which hold the 'speakers' to the headband, they will not even reveal the specification of such parts so that third-party alternatives might be used. See, for instance, https://community.bose.com/t5/Headph...ent/td-p/60571 and https://community.bose.com/t5/Around.../208257/page/4

I wonder whether Bose might be brought to book by forthcoming legislation re replacement parts for consumer products?
                    Last edited by Bryn; 03-04-21, 18:16. Reason: Thanks, Dave.

Comment

• Maclintick
                      • Jan 2012

My HD600s are 20-year-old non-consumables. In that time I've replaced the leads & foam pads twice, and recently a driver unit which if memory serves cost £60 or so -- somewhat less than the £400+ price tag for the current 660S. Sennheiser's support for legacy products a shining example in an increasingly throwaway world.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
                        My HD600s are 20-year-old non-consumables. In that time I've replaced the leads & foam pads twice, and recently a driver unit which if memory serves cost £60 or so -- somewhat less than the £400+ price tag for the current 660S. Sennheiser's support for legacy products a shining example in an increasingly throwaway world.

I stress that the third-party replacement lead's connectors have proven very much superior to the original Sennheiser ones in terms of consistency of electrical contact, albeit that the cable is much lighter weight.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

I resurrected mine from the attic after reminiscing with a friend. They sound ok but times have moved on and they are not as revelatory as I remembered or as comfortable.

Revisiting old hifi is interesting, some things have moved on enormously over the years and yet some recordings from years gone bye still sound good. LPs can sound good too although I'm not very tolerant of the associated clicks and bumps. I've been surprised how some early CDs that I didn't rate highly when I first bought them sound much better on my improved CD system.
                          Excellent points. My early CDs also sound astounding on my current system. I think a lot of people that dismissed digital have never heard what it’s capable of.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            Excellent points. My early CDs also sound astounding on my current system. I think a lot of people that dismissed digital have never heard what it’s capable of.
                            So true. The earliest digital recording that I have on CD is that of Yuji Takahashi's stereo recording of Cage's Sonatas and Interludes (recorded by Denon 1975). I originally got it in LP format (another Steve's Sounds bargain). When first released on CD, a few years later, the booklet notes included a warning/apology that some "little sounds" might be heard, to the detriment of the audio quality, due to the early digital techniques employed. I have yet to detect them.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                              Stax refer to their headphones as ‘earspeakers’. These are seriously good electrostatic non-consumables. I recently replaced the valves in the dedicated ‘energiser’ (headphone amplifier) and these earspeakers are sounding better than ever. All kinds of official and after-market spare parts are available, some even 3D-printed.
                              I also use an excellent pair of rather elderly Stax - like having a small pair of Quad electrostatic speakers on your ears! One puzzle though - if anyone can answer - it makes no difference if I have their (solid state) energiser turned on or off. They still work regardless and I can hear no difference in the quality of sound!

Comment

Working...
                              X