• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I shall demand my day in court
    Didn't quite have you down as a courtier.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

As I understand it, the lists are rented out to fraudsters for a period of weeks. They see what they can make out of it and then the list awaits a new renter.
      They are compiled from numbers where people are known to answer 9 to 5. So, before Covid, more likely to be retired {rather a coarse method of gathering that data, though. Increasingly, the younger generations don't have a land-line so that increases the bias to older age groups.)
      I have to be careful, as 99% of the calls I answer are these scamsters but I don't want to speak peremptorily to a genuine caller. Once I know its not a genuine call I just say loud and clear "take me off your list: no one here will tell you anything" and ring off.
      I'm not sure, but I think the number of calls is declining. I could leave the caller to use the answering machine but all in all, its quicker and easier to answer and terminate the call.
      Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 01-04-21, 21:08.

Comment

• Anastasius
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Several weeks go by without any scam telephone calls at all then they all come in a rush, perhaps half a dozen a day in a concentrated burst of a few days. After that it all goes quiet again.

Never understood what factors are at work here.
        Just a computer algorithm. No need to worry. Your turn will come round again
        Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

I had a human this morning "I'm X from Y" [as if I know him - X, and Y].
          "Yes, who are you?"
          "I'm X. I'm doing a survey about Z - probably Home Energy" [ we had a similar one a few days ago ...]
          "No - not interested - Byeeeee".
          [phone clicks down]

Comment

• Andrew
            • Jan 2020

I receive several calls a month informing me that my Microsoft computer has developed virus and that I ned to take urgent action to avoid loosing data. I don't have a Microsoft computer (we're all Appled up here!) but I played the guy for 20 minutes last time they called, along the lines of "every time I switch it on all it does is 'ping' at me...." the reply doesn't help, but I persevere and eventually add a surprised comment to the effect that I'd thought the caller had been questioning me about my microWAVE, not my MicroSOFT.... it amuses me, if no-one else and at least while I'm keeping them occupied they're not terrorising anyone else!
            Last edited by Andrew; 02-04-21, 19:09.
            Major Denis Bloodnok, Indian Army (RTD) Coward and Bar, currently residing in Barnet, Hertfordshire!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I had a human this morning "I'm X from Y" [as if I know him - X, and Y].
              "Yes, who are you?"
              "I'm X. I'm doing a survey about Z - probably Home Energy" [ we had a similar one a few days ago ...]
              "No - not interested - Byeeeee".
              [phone clicks down]
              I get clusters of those, all using local tel numbers, so they get answered sometimes. When I point out that they shouldn't be phoning my number as I'm registered with the TPS I now get the argument about having to renew the registration and I haven't so that's why they can phone me. Wrong, as the TPS doesn't need renewing unless something's changed. A couple of the male callers have been really unpleasant, and told me I don't know what I'm talking about. Presumably they get paid for getting a call answered so it doesn't matter too much if their appalling manner scuppers further contact.

Comment

Working...
              X