Is sticking up party posters on lamp posts fly posting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Is sticking up party posters on lamp posts fly posting?

Someone has just put a up a poster on a lamp post outside our house. It does not reflect the opinions of all the people inside our house.

If that is fly posting, can I take it down?
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... be brave!

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... be brave!

I could put up a whole bunch of new ones instead!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Political flyposting was responsible for my one criminal offense, back in 1980 something. Presumably one needs a license for any usage of street furniture to advertise forthcomings, although they're on lamp posts at main road junctions all over London, publicising DJ-type club gigs, and, the latest, visits from a travelling circus in Crystal Palace Park every weekend between April 5 and May 17!!!!!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Someone has just put a up a poster on a lamp post outside our house. It does not reflect the opinions of all the people inside our house.

"Fly-posting is illegal and can be prosecuted through the magistrates courts using a number of legislative procedures. The main route for prosecution by local authorities is under Section 224 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, and other provisions are included within the Highways Act 1980, and local legislation."

If it's a party political poster, it must have the name of the publisher and printer to facilitate any sort of prosecution. It's a local government responsibility to remove it from public property - Bristol CC say they'll do it within 2 days and if possible should take action against the flyposters.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
            • Jan 2016

Surely you can just go out and take it down whether it's flyposting or not. Do you think there are snipers watching it or something?

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
              Surely you can just go out and take it down whether it's flyposting or not. Do you think there are snipers watching it or something?
              Might have to give it them back to stay within the law!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

I thought your problem was that it was promoting/advertising some lockdown-breaking rave!

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  If it's a party political poster, it must have the name of the publisher and printer to facilitate any sort of prosecution. It's a local government responsibility to remove it from public property - Bristol CC say they'll do it within 2 days and if possible should take action against the flyposters.
                  There are party political posters all over the area. I particularly object to having one on a lamp post immediately outside our residence.

I also don't see why the local authority should have to take these down, without submitting a charge to the offending party.

I just don't know what the rules are. The rules might also be different in Scotland - different set of laws.

Comment

• Katzelmacher
                    • Jan 2021

If it offends you and it’s set at a height that makes it easily removable without damage to your person, I’d just take it down (and bin it).

It’s exactly what I do to those ridiculous cardboard ‘poppies’ that appear on lampposts round my way in the autumn (and never get taken down by the lazy/cash-strapped council, that somehow has the funds to put them up). If something in my immediate environment does not reflect my values, it has to go.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Frankly, I am more concerned about the spate of anti-vaccination stickers which have recently proliferated in the area I live in. They all bear the organisational name "White Rose" and promote opposition to vaccination, mask-wearing, and other protection measures against COVID-19 (which is presented as itself a fake disease). Certainly, I do my best to remove them when found. I regard it as a civic duty. As far as I am concerned they are the work of anarcho-fascists with a death-wish they seek to share. I will, however also raise the problem with local councilors of whichever political complexion.

Comment

• burning dog
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        I thought your problem was that it was promoting/advertising some lockdown-breaking rave!
                        Same here...

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Frankly, I am more concerned about the spate of anti-vaccination stickers which have recently proliferated in the area I live in. They all bear the organisational name "White Rose" and promote opposition to vaccination, mask-wearing, and other protection measures against COVID-19 (which is presented as itself a fake disease). Certainly, I do my best to remove them when found. I regard it as a civic duty. As far as I am concerned they are the work of anarcho-fascists with a death-wish they seek to share. I will, however also raise the problem with local councilors of whichever political complexion.
                          That's appalling ... Go for it.

Though these issues are difficult, we are in troubled times. Generally I feel we should be against forced actions - such as compulsory vaccination (which others have flagged up as being steps towards total state control), and there may be specific problems which affect some individuals.
                          However to treat Covid-19 as a fake disease is utterly stupid, and to allow such ideas to spread and cause havoc with others is to me morally reprehensible and should be stamped upon.

There are problems with specific cases though - and these can be taken out of context. The AZ vaccine in Germany does seem to have a possible link with blood clots in women, and some people have died, though a causal relationship has not AFAIK been confirmed. OTOH the overwhelming conclusions from the data available are that the risks from the vaccines are far lower than the risks of catching and dying from the coronavirus = even taking into account the cases where there has been a possible bad outcome.

One issue which may emerge is that up to now in the UK although there have been problems for younger people with coronavirus, a greater proportion of problems have been with older people. Thus young people may feel there's a low risk to them, and "why should I bother?". Sadly some may have that attitude. Thanks are very much due to all the younger people who have not taken that view.

There are also signs that new virus variants may affect younger people to a greater extent, so younger people who treat CV-19 as fake might wish to re-evaluate their own selfish risk assessment.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            The poster in question is yellow, with what looks like a loop of rope or cord and a name in white lettering in a black banner at the bottom. No sign from where I am at the moment of any publisher/printer. It's been fastened wtih cable ties I think, so I might knock it down and cut the ties.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

with what looks like a loop of rope or cord and a name in white lettering in a black banner at the bottom. No sign from where I am at the moment of any publisher/printer.
                              Could it be, uh … SNP, I wonder? . The imprint will be in tiny lettering, possibly vertically, upside down, back to front or yellow on yellow .

It seems that councils have the right to decide whether to allow election posters on lampposts. I was thinking of 'sticking' literally but if it's tied on it may be allowable, in which case you're on your own if you try to remove it where it's allowed.

This is the situation in Glasgow.

"Glasgow City Council gives its permission to attach election posters to lampposts during the course of election campaigns, so it is perfectly legal to do so. However, permission is granted on the understanding that the posters are backed with card, are not stuck on with glue, and are all removed within 48 hours of election day. "
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X