X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Hey there brother, who you jiving with your Cosmic Debri

....As Top Gear has shown us by destroying caravans in such away and spraying the resulting debri everywhere, MUCK SPREADERS can now munch just about anything. Over the last couple of years [today in particular] I have walked in fields where refuse has been sprayed in the same fashion that muck used to. Todays offerIng on a local field included - plaster, cement, plasterboard, carpet, ceramic tiles, plastic of many types, aluminium, work-gloves....so at a time when land-fill prices and capacity are highlighted, when flytipping is on the increase.... farmers for whatever reason have decided to use it as top-dressing....?????....the field in question usually (in N Yorks) is grazing foe sheep and steers/dairy cows....but after huge investment in barns and equipment this farms cows rarely go outside....
    Last edited by eighthobstruction; 24-03-21, 18:37.
    bong ching
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    ....As Top Gear has shown us by destroying caravans in such away and spraying the resulting debri everywhere, MUCK SPREADERS can now munch just about anything. Over the last couple of years [today in particular] I have walked in fields where refuse has been sprayed in the same fashion that muck used to. Todays offerIng on a local field included - plaster, cement, plasterboard, carpet, ceramic tiles, plastic of many types, aluminium, work-gloves....so at a time when land-fill prices and capacity are highlighted, when flytipping is on the increase....and farmers for whatever reason have decided to use it as top-dressing....?????....the field in question usually (in N Yorks) is grazing foe sheep and steers/dairy cows....but after huge investment in barns and equipment this farms cows rarely go outside....
    The three local councils here (Reading, Wokingham, and Bracknell Forest) have grouped together to outsource refuse and recycling site management. This has led to charges being imposed for a wide range of what previously was dealt with as household waste. Surprise surprise. Fly-tipping has increased greatly. Those on whose land the fly-tipping is dumped end up being obliged to paying the for its removal.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

A personal story from 3 years ago.

On a visit to our bins area, I came across three young chappies with a medium-sized van, depositing a large number of heavy duty, Ikea-type table tops, legs and cupboard doors on our property. They were leaning the items against our back wall. "Council come - collect", one of them said. Three days on, I checked labels still stuck on some of them - it was a name and address in West Wickham, about five miles to the south of here. On New Years morning, I cycled over, rang the front bell of an upmarket property, and after a few minutes and several more rings on the bell, a very bleary-eyed woman in a dressing gown opened the door. I explained what I had come to report. "Oh, I'll get my husband". He appeared, a few minutes later, and looked like the sort of man one didn't want to get into any kind of disagreement with. In actual fact, he was most apologetic, said he must have been hoodwinked by the collection boys, who had told him they would get rid of the stuff legitimately. He had paid them £120. He would deal with the matter, he told me, asking me for my address and phone number. Two days later he phoned to say the items would be removed the next day. Come the next day, he himself arrived in a hired van with his son, again profusely apologising for all the trouble, and loaded up the scrap. Before departing, he fetched something from the cabin and gave it to me. It was what turned out to be a very expensive bottle of claret. I was to receive a card from them the following Christmas.

The nearest recycling dump to us is about a mile away, in the borough of Lambeth. They say they will only take items from Lambeth residents, but in fact they've never asked for proof of address, and in any case, our Southwark recycling facilities are located six miles to our north, near Elephant & Castle, and to deliver rubbish would involve having to cross the Congestion Charge zone. For most of last year, the Lombardy Rd site (the Lambeth one) has been shut completely with apologetic notices plastered all around the gate saying due to Covid etc etc. Then in August they exhibited new notices stating that anyone needing to use the facility would have to book online. People have told me this has proved a bureaucratic and technological nightmare, and yet, when turning up, even with as little as a single item, say a broken fan heater, they will not permit access to the facility. It is no surprise that stuff is getting dumped all over the area, which the council is then having to remove themselves.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....this has the making of a sit com....but would need some love interest....and possibly an eccentric grandfather who does taxidermy....and an eventual silver lining....

....NEW YEARS MORNING!!!!!!!....
        bong ching

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          A personal story from 3 years ago.

On a visit to our bins area, I came across three young chappies with a medium-sized van, depositing a large number of heavy duty, Ikea-type table tops, legs and cupboard doors on our property. They were leaning the items against our back wall. "Council come - collect", one of them said. Three days on, I checked labels still stuck on some of them - it was a name and address in West Wickham, about five miles to the south of here. On New Years morning, I cycled over, rang the front bell of an upmarket property, and after a few minutes and several more rings on the bell, a very bleary-eyed woman in a dressing gown opened the door. I explained what I had come to report. "Oh, I'll get my husband". He appeared, a few minutes later, and looked like the sort of man one didn't want to get into any kind of disagreement with. In actual fact, he was most apologetic, said he must have been hoodwinked by the collection boys, who had told him they would get rid of the stuff legitimately. He had paid them £120. He would deal with the matter, he told me, asking me for my address and phone number. Two days later he phoned to say the items would be removed the next day. Come the next day, he himself arrived in a hired van with his son, again profusely apologising for all the trouble, and loaded up the scrap. Before departing, he fetched something from the cabin and gave it to me. It was what turned out to be a very expensive bottle of claret. I was to receive a card from them the following Christmas.

The nearest recycling dump to us is about a mile away, in the borough of Lambeth. They say they will only take items from Lambeth residents, but in fact they've never asked for proof of address, and in any case, our Southwark recycling facilities are located six miles to our north, near Elephant & Castle, and to deliver rubbish would involve having to cross the Congestion Charge zone. For most of last year, the Lombardy Rd site (the Lambeth one) has been shut completely with apologetic notices plastered all around the gate saying due to Covid etc etc. Then in August they exhibited new notices stating that anyone needing to use the facility would have to book online. People have told me this has proved a bureaucratic and technological nightmare, and yet, when turning up, even with as little as a single item, say a broken fan heater, they will not permit access to the facility. It is no surprise that stuff is getting dumped all over the area, which the council is then having to remove themselves.
          Wow! Brilliant tale, S_A. It's a jungle sometimes!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
            ....this has the making of a sit com........

....NEW YEARS MORNING!!!!!!!....

I’m casting Richard Wilson as S_A

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

I’m casting Richard Wilson as S_A

I actually bought a box collection for one of that series last month!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I actually bought a box collection for one of that series last month!
                I watched a couple of episodes recently and they were actually quite surreal as well as very funny - like your refuse story!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                X