X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    More likely to be replaced by some cheeky Northern chappess (or chappie at a pinch) once things get back to ‘normal’...
    Essential clog dancing....

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Did the “IS to afternoons” theory originate from a reliable source, or just wishful thinking? I can’t remember
      From the BBC's hastily-rushed out press release after IS blew the gaff?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        Essential clog dancing....
        We have concrete floors and ceilings here, so I won't be telling "upstairs"!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
          The BBC CO perhaps to the East Midlands and East Anglia where there isn't a large full time orchestra.
          Yes, all for a fair distribution of orchestral concerts throughout the country. With the exception of the BBCCO you mention, the BBC seem to me to have been pretty exemplary about this over the years
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• duncan
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            The change to a less London-centric mindset is hogwash; just moving personnel elsewhere doesn't suddenly change their perspective, which will stay rooted in the company 'culture', unless given permission and freedom to do differently.
            It worked for 5Live and BBC Sport. The football coverage is overrun with ex-Liverpool players giving their unbiased (cough) views on the Premiership.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Ah, but the previously mentioned SW hails from Barnsley, so . . .
              Nowt wrong wi’ Barnsley - any road up she’s ensconced in the Soft South now but as she is so good on Sunday mornings that replacement on the same grounds as IS is likely, though probably has the thumbs up from the suits so probably safe.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Yes, all for a fair distribution of orchestral concerts throughout the country. With the exception of the BBCCO you mention, the BBC seem to me to have been pretty exemplary about this over the years
                Well only if you think the SW is Bournemouth or Bristol!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Was the Saturday sabotage of TTN the dry run? says I displaying ignorance of realms of R6, but you know what I mean.
                  I do know that the suits consider there is a great similarity between the listeners to R3 and those to 6 Music as both stations attract particularly 'passionate and discerning' music lovers. I do wonder whether the crossover audience (between the two stations, I mean) is equal in both directions. [Some] People over here seem well up in popular music but it never appears that devotees of pop music are equally interested in classical music. Do Radio 3 presenters get their own programmes on 6 Music?

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  From the BBC's hastily-rushed out press release after IS blew the gaff?
                  And when they were busily crafting their press release on the move to Salford!
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I do know that the suits consider there is a great similarity between the listeners to R3 and those to 6 Music as both stations attract particularly 'passionate and discerning' music lovers. I do wonder whether the crossover audience (between the two stations, I mean) is equal in both directions. [Some] People over here seem well up in popular music but it never appears that devotees of pop music are equally interested in classical music. Do Radio 3 presenters get their own programmes on 6 Music?

Or indeed do the R6 pop fans have a quota of Classical Music or is it one-way traffic, and why are Jorja and Celeste’s programmes eating into the R6 schedules rather than R3?

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                      "That all sounds lovely." - Daniel Craig as James Bond in Spectre.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Or indeed do the R6 pop fans have a quota of Classical Music or is it one-way traffic, and why are Jorja and Celeste’s programmes eating into the R6 schedules rather than R3?
                        Have you omitted a 'NOT' ? Only R6 music eats into R6's schedules. It's R3 that wants to attract new listeners and think that R6 presenters and 'transitional' music programmes will act as Pied Pipers and lure in new, younger generations of music lovers. What is vaguely annoying is that they suggest that if people tune in to EA's Unclassified and these new twilight zone easy listening progs, that will open people's ears and they will become classical music listeners. I suppose it might turn them into Classic FM listeners, except that Classic FM is a bit too, well, 'classical'.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Have you omitted a 'NOT' ? Only R6 music eats into R6's schedules. It's R3 that wants to attract new listeners and think that R6 presenters and 'transitional' music programmes will act as Pied Pipers and lure in new, younger generations of music lovers. What is vaguely annoying is that they suggest that if people tune in to EA's Unclassified and these new twilight zone easy listening progs, that will open people's ears and they will become classical music listeners. I suppose it might turn them into Classic FM listeners, except that Classic FM is a bit too, well, 'classical'.
                          I thought it was the BBC that are trying to educate listeners to listen to classical music. Surely getting them to hear some in their comfort zone and then tell them there’s more like it on R3 is the better approach!
                          Education comes second to figures.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I thought it was the BBC that are trying to educate listeners to listen to classical music. Surely getting them to hear some in their comfort zone and then tell them there’s more like it on R3 is the better approach!
                            Nope. The BBC doesn't care tuppence about 'educating' listeners to listen to classical music. Every few years there will be a Ten Pieces, or the Opera Season with appropriate hype; plus the annual Proms. But that's it. Not even one regular weekly - or monthly - TV slot for a concert or recital. Bits and pieces now and again have no lasting impact at all. The managers themselves aren't interested in classical music - so how can 'the BBC' be interested?

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                              • Jul 2011

Re the relocation of the BBC CO - could Nottingham perhaps be the lucky city? The council has just this week reversed a multi-million pound cut of arts funding (what do they know that we don't?), there's an excellent concert hall already there...

Re a weekly or monthly TV slot - coincidentally, the Radio Times Collectors Group on Facebook has just put up a photo of a Saturday night schedule for BBC1 and 2 in March 1977 - simultaneous broadcast of Capriccio on BBC2 and R3 - can you imagine that opera ever being shown on terrestrial TV now?

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                                a Saturday night schedule for BBC1 and 2 in March 1977 - simultaneous broadcast of Capriccio on BBC2 and R3 - can you imagine that opera ever being shown on terrestrial TV now?
                                I'm pretty sure BBC Two even dropped all the main 'light' Proms - turned them over to BBC Four - because they didn't get big enough audiences for a 'mass media' channel. They could get more viewers with a detective serial or cookery programme. Size of audience dictates what they schedule and where.

Comment

Working...
                                X