X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Yes - but what about Betamax?

VHS tapes are an "interesting record" of a period of recent history. A mine waiting to be exploited - or dumped on landfill sites
  • mikealdren
    • Nov 2010

Or Video 2000, rarer and technically superior.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
      or maybe laserdiscs, though they weren't usually recordable by amateur enthusiasts. Whatever happened to that Domesday project?

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
        Indeed, but also a late-comer to the feast. Still, the first video recorder I purchased.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

I never possessed a video recorder, always more interested in audio and a decent hifi system - got through several cassette recorders when their heads or motors expired.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

I have the good fortune to still be in possession of a VHS player (Matsui) - and recorder, though of course the source for recording on VHS went with digital. But at least the device can still be played via my flatscreen, with scart lead connection, allowing me to play the 100 plus tapes of variable quality I compiled from the time of acquiring my first VHS player/recorder in 1989, including many memorable and quality programmes - dramas, documentaries and so on - mappers of one's personal journey and reminders of the good stuff that was then more plentifully on offer. By treating it as a luxury and only using rarely I hope it lasts as long as I do!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              I never possessed a video recorder, always more interested in audio and a decent hifi system - got through several cassette recorders when their heads or motors expired.
              One of the attractions of the Philips 2000 system was its higher audio quality than standard (pre-VHS HiFi) video recorders of the time.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

I have a few VHS tapes lying around but they don't have video on them - the Alesis ADAT 8-channel digital audio recorder, first of its kind to be available outside big studios and quite common in the early 1990s, used S-VHS cassettes.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

30 years ago when my kids were small we had a camcorder that we recorded their lives on. My ex wife then decided to transfer the vhs to a DVD. She then lost the DVD, no back up, and had tossed the VHS

Comment

Working...
                  X