X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Basilio
    • Nov 2010

A courteous, intelligent and informed discussion about religion

Some of my best friends are atheists or agnostics. I have know truly ghastly people in churches, even the Church of England. Indeed particularly the Church of England.

Rather than clog up ff's poll, I wanted to comment on this -

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Originally Posted by Don Basilio View Post
    What I have noticed more and more is that unimaginative, fundamentalist, literalist, inconsiderate, intolerant posts come increasingly from anti-religionists.

I believe this is what is known as getting your retaliation in first
    But surely just as a matter of polemic policy, if you know those you disagree with are going to make fools of themselves, it is better to let them go ahead, rather than imitate their silliness?
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

...dogmatism and the howling pack .... a universal human phenomenon quite independent of the content ... religion, flat earth, darwinism ..... science etc ... one of our more lethal and offensive characteristics methinks ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Not inborn

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

...we ll it might well be or at least a derived behaviour from our very basic social capacities, it is how we age war or compete for terrain .... oddly the worst i have encountered in the educated sphere was the behaviour of the evo psch brigade, now they all have tenure and research funding they have calmed somewhat .... it is also a scapegoating or purifying mechanism ... [when i finally finish sorting the books i will post a reference to it]
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

As was said on R4 today....[Historically] Jesus probably thought the world was flat....
          bong ching

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

In discussing 'religion' there are so many linked issues: faith and reason, theology and doctrine, politics and history. And more. In most attacks on religion there's a kind of generalised onslaught: one powerful detail ('it's irrational') being supported by another ('look at the suffering it causes'), to justify the position.

And the 'problem' with religion is that it appears to resist all normal arguments, it has its own justifications which frustrate debate, a seeming declaration that the normal order somehow 'doesn't apply' in the usual way. And that seems inadequate.

I suspect that the origin of most internet-age religious 'wars' lies with people who spend very little time thinking about the subject because they already know they're right. Self-evidently.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

Harold Pinter - The Homecoming:

"How can the unknown merit reverence? In other words how can you revere that of which you are ignorant? At the same time, it would be ridiculous to propose that what we know merits reverence. What we know merits any one of a number of things, but it stands to reason reverence isn't one of them. In other words, apart from the known and the unknown, what else is there?"

(My tickets to see it at The Swan in Stratford have arrived. Can't wait! )
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I suspect that the origin of most internet-age religious 'wars' lies with people who spend very little time thinking about the subject because they already know they're right. Self-evidently.
                I'm surprised you actually said that f-f - but then nothing surprises me on this forum really - especially when it comes to musical judgement.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

I went to a funeral today, and it was a Christian ceremony. As an atheist, was I wrong to go? As ever I examined my inner thoughts and convinced myself that I was there for my deceased friend and those who loved her, and believed that I was right to do so. Atheists have to make decisions like this if they believe in tolerating the beliefs of others, but let's not pretend that it can go without thought. It is possible to be a non militant atheist you know Religion is not going to disappear, but from time to time I must defend my conviction that Hl Mencken was correct when he said that belief in what is palpably untrue is the chief occupation of mankind.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Agreed. The Church in Wales that I attend is very high (altar boys, sanctus bells, lashings of incense, probably Anglo-Catholic most would say) I have many friends who are Methodists (the religion of choice in Wales?), they look down on us as following The Vicar of Rome and idol worshipping, we look down on them as being wishy-washy without passion and almost akin to being Vegans and Baptists are cold fish and are rather wet, in fact probably the Baptists are worse. So, I am just agreeing with french frank, I know I'm right, they know they're right. But there is no proof, which is why a religion board would be more trouble than it's worth.

I probably have now shot meself in the foot.

Comment

• Simon

And the 'problem' with religion is that it appears to resist all normal arguments, it has its own justifications which frustrate debate, a seeming declaration that the normal order somehow 'doesn't apply' in the usual way.
                      I don't know what religions you've been discussing, but that certainly isn't the case with mine! If it were I wouldn't give it tuppence.

And that seems inadequate
                      And so it would to me, too!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Agreed. The Church in Wales that I attend is very high (altar boys, sanctus bells, lashings of incense, probably Anglo-Catholic most would say) I have many friends who are Methodists (the religion of choice in Wales?), they look down on us as following The Vicar of Rome and idol worshipping, we look down on them as being wishy-washy without passion and almost akin to being Vegans and Baptists are cold fish and are rather wet, in fact probably the Baptists are worse. So, I am just agreeing with french frank, I know I'm right, they know they're right. But there is no proof, which is why a religion board would be more trouble than it's worth.

I probably have now shot meself in the foot.
                        Probably not, Anna

There are all sorts of things one has to take on faith, because otherwise we would burn ourselves out with constant anxiety. When I cycled to the shops earlier today, for instance, it was on faith that I wouldn't be knocked down, suffer a stroke, or have my bike nicked, even though it was locked.

Or would this be a bad analogy?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

What it has shown....is that there is a side of french frank that is a bit of a nutter....[very glad to hear it]....[and she can probably argue her point in french too]....

....what had she spread on her toast the day she first broached this [i.e. ideas, rel' board]....??

....Aaaaaaaah....silly season
                          Last edited by eighthobstruction; 05-08-11, 19:31.
                          bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            What it has shown....is that there is a side of french frank that is a bit of a nutter....[very glad to hear it]....[and she can probably argue her point in french too]....

....what had she spread on her toast the day she broached this??....

....Aaaaaaaah....silly season
                            You t e a s e. you!

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

If we can discussion religion on Platform 3 like this why do we need another place for it? I wish now I'd voted against it.

Comment

Working...
                              X