• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

A dire future for musicians

If having read this article by Joseph Middleton you feel a strong urge to write to your MP, then please do. I have (even though he is a bucolic Philistine).

Despite repeated assurances that the government understood the need for frictionless travel after Brexit, hugely increased bureaucracy and costs look set to devastate the present – and the future – of musicians and music-making in the UK
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

I've already supported a 38 degrees petition about this....there is an MU one as well.

Great piece from national treasure Elton here.....
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 14-02-21, 16:42.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

I posted this link under the "Rattle to leave LSO" thread a couple of days ago. It's the specific detail that makes it so telling - examples of work that he cannot do, even if Covid was not an issue. It is useful to have the likes of Elton John weighing in on the problem but his difficulties are on a very different scale(and can be overcome given the size of his business) to those of the free lancer who has to take work as and when, often at short notice, in addition to long lead in bigger contracts.
      This crossed with your link to the Elton article, which I haven't yet read Jayne.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        I posted this link under the "Rattle to leave LSO" thread a couple of days ago. It's the specific detail that makes it so telling - examples of work that he cannot do, even if Covid was not an issue. It is useful to have the likes of Elton John weighing in on the problem but his difficulties are on a very different scale(and can be overcome given the size of his business) to those of the free lancer who has to take work as and when, often at short notice, in addition to long lead in bigger contracts.
        This crossed with your link to the Elton article, which I haven't yet read Jayne.
        As the title suggests, Elton, utterly playing down any problems of his own "Of course, none of this affects me" "This isn't about Elton John", emphasises younger and newer and less well known performers and appeals on their behalf.
        Its a lovely piece, subjective autobiographical and self-effacing.
        He has always been, touchingly, a very enthusiastic listener to new and upcoming bands and releases. I just love that, getting so excited about New Releases each week myself!
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 14-02-21, 17:51.

Comment

• mikealdren
          • Nov 2010

Yes, we're beginning to see the joys of EU bureaucracy that the rest of the world has suffered for years. And we thought the USA was bad........

Comment

• johnb
            • Mar 2007

Some days ago I was talking to a neighbour who is a musician and who happens to be the Artistic Projects Manager for an established early music ensemble (I won't give its name as that would identify her). She is now considering retraining. So very sad.

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

I’m not sure if this is covered in the linked articles, but the EU’s rules on ‘cabotage’ will effectively end European tours for UK orchestras. Under these rules the trucks used to transport orchestral equipment will only be allowed to make two stops in the EU before returning to the UK.

"I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                I’m not sure if this is covered in the linked articles, but the EU’s rules on ‘cabotage’ will effectively end European tours for UK orchestras. Under these rules the trucks used to transport orchestral equipment will only be allowed to make two stops in the EU before returning to the UK.

https://musiceducation.global/cabota...y-brexit-deal/
                This is something that the 'other side of music' has picked up on, as in this article https://djmag.com/longreads/what-wil...and-eu-artists

There is also this at the end, relating to the rejected EU proposal
                On 19th January, culture minister Caroline Dinenage rejected the petition’s call for further negotiations with the EU, stating that its proposals were “simply not compatible with our manifesto commitment to taking back control of our borders.”
                What I don't understand is why an element of reciprocity(which is all that it is) should be such a problem, unless the government is admitting that it is incapable of keeping track of who comes into the country and why, and ensuring that they depart again. Are we really expected to believe that allowing a limited number of musicians and their associated staff will result in the country being over-run by illegal immigrants?

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  This is something that the 'other side of music' has picked up on, as in this article https://djmag.com/longreads/what-wil...and-eu-artists

There is also this at the end, relating to the rejected EU proposal What I don't understand is why an element of reciprocity(which is all that it is) should be such a problem, unless the government is admitting that it is incapable of keeping track of who comes into the country and why, and ensuring that they depart again. Are we really expected to believe that allowing a limited number of musicians and their associated staff will result in the country being over-run by illegal immigrants?
                  Yep, really hard to see how a reciprocal arrangement isn’t in everybody’s interests. It that the lockdowns will turn out to be a good moment to sort this out , with no immediate harm being done.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

The acting side has weighed in now https://www.theguardian.com/stage/20...es-for-artists
                    As ever these days it's the "official spokesperson" response that both beggars belief and at the same time illustrates why the problem has arisen. Ignorance of the subject coupled with political incompetence makes for a major hurdle.
                    A UK Government Spokesperson said: “We want our cultural and creative professionals to be able to work easily across Europe, in the same way EU creatives are able to work flexibly in the UK. Though the EU rejected proposals that would have allowed this, we hope Member States will act on these calls by changing the rules they apply to UK creatives. We’re working urgently with our cultural sectors to resolve any new barriers they face, so that touring can resume as soon as it is safe to do so.”
                    Time for the creative arts community to join forces and mount a concerted campaign to put hard facts on the issue? - preferably the economic loss ones since that appears to be a language government understands - sort of. Even if they are dismissed out of hand as happened a few days ago with the hauliers and exporters organisations (government response "we do not recognise these figures" ) the more this can be got out to the public the better. Currently the attitude is very kneejerk based on lack of knowledge and not inclined to see that losses in this sector are not about entitled acting luvvies, and big earner groups and individuals in the music world.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

lockdowns will turn out to be a good moment to sort this out
                      A cynic might say that news which obliterates everything else (Covid, of course) gives this government a chance to get away with blue murder.

Comment

Working...
                      X