X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    I've had several of these now. Synthesised voice gives it away almost before the "content" does. As with those from "Microsoft", "BT" and others purporting to tell the called party to do something about a service regardless of whether he/she actually has such a service, the only response to such calls is to terminate them which, as I have done tht to each one that I;lve received, I have never gotten as far as discovering the nature of the scam.
    It certainly makes life easier when the call is about something you don't have or never had.

Comment

• CallMePaul
      • Jan 2014

My partner and I have received a large number of these calls over the last few days, some as early as 8am. We hang up, but a friend of mine did once press 2, soon after realised her mistake and was advised by her bank to cancel her cards and await new ones. Like us, she does not use Amazon Prime!

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Just had another which I've been able to add to my blocked numbers; one came in about the same time yesterday, which BT said it was unable to block.

Off topic: I received an Amazon delivery a few days ago - I don't buy from them - which was obviously a gift for an upcoming birthday, but no indication who from. My son later confirmed it was from him, said the packing slip should have indicated that; but there was no trace of his name anywhere.

Comment

• mikealdren
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          Off topic: I received an Amazon delivery a few days ago - I don't buy from them - which was obviously a gift for an upcoming birthday, but no indication who from. My son later confirmed it was from him, said the packing slip should have indicated that; but there was no trace of his name anywhere.
          I've had this twice recently, a CD arrived out of the blue just after Christmas so I carefully checked my Ebay and Amazon orders, not a CD that I had ordered. Last week an unexpected book appeared, now I was confused until my wife pointed out that this was a late birthday present from my mother in law. It subsequently turned out that the CD was also a present but this time it was very early.

Back on topic, if I'm in an awkward mood ("really" my wife says!) I sometimes decide to answer the call and waste the spammer's time, I never get charged for the call. For Amazon spams, I usually listed for a while and then tell them that I thought Amazon Prime just charged me £7.99 a month and ask why were they are charging more now, they always ring off. For the card spams, I wait until they ask me to confirm my card details and I ask them which of my cards has been defrauded, of course they never know. My challenge is to see how long I can keep them talking.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
            My partner and I have received a large number of these calls over the last few days, some as early as 8am. We hang up, but a friend of mine did once press 2, soon after realised her mistake and was advised by her bank to cancel her cards and await new ones. Like us, she does not use Amazon Prime!
            I don't see how pressing 2 could have caused a problem, unless the scammers managed to get a return call at prime rates, or she actually engaged with the scammers.
            I checked with my phone company that there wasn't going to be a problem with my bill, and since my phone and computer are not linked I don't see how issues could arise - unless there is a way in which mobile phones can be hacked - which I suppose is just possible.
            Since the call I received was to a land line, that shouldn't have been a possibility.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
              My challenge is to see how long I can keep them talking.
              A friend did this recently, and kept the call going for ten or so minutes. Then the woman caller said something very rude about him and ended the call.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

'Some calls are recorded to assess the efficiency of...'
                Bet they didn't record THAT one!!!

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  A friend did this recently, and kept the call going for ten or so minutes. Then the woman caller said something very rude about him and ended the call.
                  One of my friends allegedly uses such calls to show off his knowledge of obscene words, directing them directly back at the callers. Must be a truly educational experience for the recipients.

Comment

• LHC
                    • Jan 2011

This Twitter thread about dealing with email scammers may be of interest

"I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                      This Twitter thread about dealing with email scammers may be of interest

https://mobile.twitter.com/Boris/sta...08504544444417
                      Quite fun We regularly get emails - just received another few minutes ago - on the lines:

"Hi for3.org Team,
                      I noticed something interesting while going through your website, for3.org … "

As this might be someone quite 'genuine', referring to broken links/increasing our traffic/spelling mistakes &c, I can't be bothered to respond saying 'Hi Adam, the website is just a placeholder and we aren't looking for more customers. Thank you for your interest.' If I think it's a scam it gets forwarded to report@phishing.gov.uk, if just spam it gets deleted.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Quite fun We regularly get emails - just received another few minutes ago - on the lines:

"Hi for3.org Team,
                        I noticed something interesting while going through your website, for3.org … "
                        Offers to rewrite my website to improve rankings go thru phases, like London buses 3 or so, apparently from different sources, come along within a short interval then none for some time , went through a spate of offers of authoring pages for free if I would include some javascript (I wonder why) - now most are either either get rich quick scams or reminders that some deceased but unknown to me relative has left me a large legacy that can be only unlocked if I pay some legal fees - most of this spam noise gets filtered out by my mail washer but occasionally I resort to blacklisting persistent offenders,

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          One of my friends allegedly uses such calls to show off his knowledge of obscene words, directing them directly back at the callers. Must be a truly educational experience for the recipients.
                          turpiloquium

Comment

Working...
                          X