• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

Mirga extends CBSO contract

"Dear xxxxx

Ahead of a public announcement at 10am today, we wanted to let you know in confidence the good news that Mirga has agreed to extend her contract with the orchestra. She will continue as Music Director for an additional season until summer 2022 and will then move to the position of Principal Guest Conductor – a role which she will hold alongside our existing Principal Guest Conductor Kazuki Yamada..."

There's a lot more in the letter. I think most people knew her contract was about to expire. She lives in Germany. I didn't expect her to stay.
    Last edited by Zucchini; 22-01-21, 16:37. Reason: She lives in Salzburg, Austria. Sorry
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Which begs the question..........

Comment

• Simon B
      • Dec 2010

Oh good. More bad news. Because there's a real shortage of that presently...

That it's more shuffling of the deckchairs on the metaphorical Titanic isn't much consolation.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Which begs the question..........
        Assuming you mean another well known conductor, I don't know that comparisons are particularly helpful. They are different ages, at different stages of their careers; both of which have a bearing on whether to ride out the current Brexit problems in the hope or expectation that things will improve, or sidestep them, and on decisions about preferred work to pursue, I would have thought.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Assuming you mean another well known conductor, I don't know that comparisons are particularly helpful. They are different ages, at different stages of their careers; both of which have a bearing on whether to ride out the current Brexit problems in the hope or expectation that things will improve, or sidestep them, and on decisions about preferred work to pursue, I would have thought.
          I was also thinking more directly, who's next? Ed Gardner for me, though given other commitments he might need a clone...or maybe he'll just spend more time in Bergen.....

Comment

• Simon B
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            I was also thinking more directly, who's next? Ed Gardner for me, though given other commitments he might need a clone...or maybe he'll just spend more time in Bergen.....
            He's certainly done plenty of excellent concerts with the CBSO in the past. Bit unlikely though given that he's recently "started" (assuming the definition is stretched enough to include not really giving any concerts for obvious reasons) at the LPO. I suppose that's assuming they don't go bust which is anything but guaranteed. Likewise the CBSO, unfortunately.

Or do you mean your money is on him as the next one to think better of the whole thing and depart the UK for somewhere, anywhere else?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Simon B View Post
              He's certainly done plenty of excellent concerts with the CBSO in the past. Bit unlikely though given that he's recently "started" (assuming the definition is stretched enough to include not really giving any concerts for obvious reasons) at the LPO. I suppose that's assuming they don't go bust which is anything but guaranteed. Likewise the CBSO, unfortunately.

Or do you mean your money is on him as the next one to think better of the whole thing and depart the UK for somewhere, anywhere else?
              "All of the above" seems the only possible answer now, doesn't it? Heavens....
              But I was mainly thinking of his wonderful CBSO recordings, the excellent Mendelssohn cycle and the Schubert........but everything seems to be on hold now....

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Is the Germany residence just a red herring but 2022 more significant - when is Sir Simon moving on? Who’s his successor?

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2020

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Is the Germany residence just a red herring but 2022 more significant - when is Sir Simon moving on? Who’s his successor?
                  The plot thickens ....

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Zucchini
                    Press release: https://cbso.co.uk/news/mirga-extends-contract

.... which makes it entirely clear that she wouldn't be in the least bit interested or be invited to work with the LSO.

So why the stupid 'big grin' smirk?
                    Sorry Sir. Peccavi, Pater Optime. Jayne will try to do better next term.

Comment

• Simon B
                      • Dec 2010

At the time he took it up, Simon Rattle described the LSO as his "last big job".

What does that make the BRSO then?

All such statements are... contingent.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini
                        Press release: https://cbso.co.uk/news/mirga-extends-contract

.... which makes it entirely clear that she wouldn't be in the least bit interested or be invited to work with the LSO.

So why the stupid 'big grin' smirk?
                        Am I missing something? Probably!

The article as linked to does not "make it entirely clear that she wouldn't be in the least bit interested or be invited to work with the LSO." or indeed orchestra X, where X might be the NYPO, the Boston Phil, LAPO, the Paris Conservatoire, the Gewandhaus Orchestra etc. All it does state is that she is delighted to be able to continue to work with the CBSO.

Comment

• LHC
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Am I missing something? Probably!

The article as linked to does not "make it entirely clear that she wouldn't be in the least bit interested or be invited to work with the LSO." or indeed orchestra X, where X might be the NYPO, the Boston Phil, LAPO, the Paris Conservatoire, the Gewandhaus Orchestra etc. All it does state is that she is delighted to be able to continue to work with the CBSO.
                          She says she wants to step back from the responsibilities of being an MD, which suggests she isn’t planning on jumping to another high profile orchestra immediately on leaving the CBSO. Conspiracy theorists might point out that the LSO job doesn’t become vacant for another year, however, I think she is unlikely to take that on. As she now has two young children, she may want to take on opportunities closer to her home in Salzburg.
                          "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                          Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

It seems to me that this musical chairs stuff has always gone on. Now people have Brexit to throw the blame at, but who knows what other reasons there might be without prying into the lives of these musicians?

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                              It seems to me that this musical chairs stuff has always gone on. Now people have Brexit to throw the blame at, but who knows what other reasons there might be without prying into the lives of these musicians?
                              Highly paid , high profile professsionals will follow the money.( usually , often, as a rule ‘ )

See “ Football transfer window” for further details.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                              X