Nilsson / Hotter / VPO / Solti.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    To mark this momentous day - Brexit - I played Die Walkure Act 3:
    Leb wohl, leb wolhl.

Preparing French Onion Soup for supper tonight. Better post further on the What's Cooking? thread. I have been so worn down by the prospect for so long that now the day has finally dawned I feel it's nothing special - we've been outside for years
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Hope les oignons were de la France?

Comment

• Leinster Lass
        Banned
        • Oct 2020

Leb wohl, leb wolhl.

Has something happened over there?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Leb wohl, leb wolhl.

I think it’ll take more than Loge’s ring of fire to keep me out of France and Italy .... oh yes I forgot..oh well.
          Always wanted to sing that bit with an orchestra . It lies just in the right part of my voice . Unfortunately my voice doesn’t lie in the right part of the music...

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Slightly at random I picked Barbara Bonney's Schubert recital with Geoffrey Parsons on Teldec Apex off the shelf this morning. A good choice. Beautiful tone, control and expression.

You can get yourself a stylish Covid mask from her well-named shop in Salzburg.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                I think it’ll take more than Loge’s ring of fire to keep me out of France and Italy .... oh yes I forgot..oh well.
                Always wanted to sing that bit with an orchestra . It lies just in the right part of my voice . Unfortunately my voice doesn’t lie in the right part of the music...
                Love it! Mind you, who's to know in the privacy of your own home?

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                  • Jul 2011

My New Year tradition is the Nocturne for Orchestra by Finzi, which he called New Year Music.

Listened to the Boult recording earlier, maybe not the most polished, orchestrally speaking, but spacious and detailed.

Still to come - some Bizet (including 'Patrie') and some tracks from the old David Munrow album, Music of the Gothic Era. Some Machaut, I think.

A personal 'entente cordiale'.

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Can one still buy CDs etc. from places like jpc.de, Amazon.fr etc. as before?
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                      • Jan 2014

They may well be happy to sell to you. But you may have the joy of paying the Royal Mail imports parcel handling fee. And, IIRC, VAT - if the value is more than £15. If under £15, it shouldn't be snagged. ( I currently have my fingers crossed on a CD live opera performance from the US).
                      Assuming its not a mega purchase. If it were, there would be a need to check the import tax on the class of goods - CDs and pay it.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Sadly had to pay all this on a recent import from the USA. So SAD it now applies to goods from our nearest AND dearest neighbours.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          Slightly at random I picked Barbara Bonney's Schubert recital with Geoffrey Parsons on Teldec Apex off the shelf this morning. A good choice. Beautiful tone, control and expression.

You can get yourself a stylish Covid mask from her well-named shop in Salzburg.
                          They may be Bonney masks, but at those prices the money would be better spent on Bonney CDs! (I do love her voice, and it needs no masking)!

I’m unsure where the ‘trade deal’ places us with CD purchases over £15!

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                            They may well be happy to sell to you. But you may have the joy of paying the Royal Mail imports parcel handling fee. And, IIRC, VAT - if the value is more than £15. If under £15, it shouldn't be snagged. ( I currently have my fingers crossed on a CD live opera performance from the US).
                            Assuming its not a mega purchase. If it were, there would be a need to check the import tax on the class of goods - CDs and pay it.
                            Judging from this https://www.gov.uk/buying-europe-1-jan-2021 you may have to hunt to find the info you need.
                            The Brexit transition period has ended and new rules for buying things from Europe now apply. This page is currently out of date.
                            Just about sums things up I'd say.

Comment

• Pianorak
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              Judging from this https://www.gov.uk/buying-europe-1-jan-2021 you may have to hunt to find the info you need.
                              Just about sums things up I'd say.
                              Well, I looked everywhere on the gov.uk site for information - You may seek him in the basement You may look up in the air But I tell you once and once again Macavity's not there!
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                              X