X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Richard pearson rip

A very distinguished player. A natural and engaging player comedian with that lovely piping voice who played the kind of meek character whom people would too easily dismiss, or disregard, but who invariably would have the last laugh.

• french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Thanks for the obit, Shb. Just momentarily I was quite surprised to discover he rose to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel, but his ability to be so dependably what he was called upon to be was probably disguised by the fact that it was the 'fluster' that was so often required of him. A professional.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

Someone who seems to have been part of my viewing history all my life. (As indeed he was - 93 years old! Incredible.)

I particularly remember him as a quietly promiscuous character in an episode of 'Inpector Morse'.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

He once played a dithery amateur taxidermist who unfortunately decided to practise his skills on his girl friend, very funny and creepy at the same time! A wonderful performer.

Comment

• spasuit

Years ago my mother worked with him in a light West End comedy directed by Peter Brook(!) She always said what a kind and gentle man he was.

Comment

• amateur51

Richard Pearson was a constant presence in my early TV-viewing life, a sure sign of a bit of quality TV.

My fondest memory of him comes from the opening of Schlesinger's marvellous film Sunday Bloody Sunday with RP as the anxious patient being re-assured by his doctor, Peter Finch.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
              • Nov 2010

Very often cast in cameo roles, Pearson had the inventiveness of the best kind of actors, who would appear briefly in a scene but whose character you were led to believe had existed before that moment, and would continue on afterwards.

He was also an excellent listener as an actor. This is a trait tremendously underrated. A Maggie Smith or a Derek Jacobi may be very adept at occupying a stage, but it is the reactions of the other characters which fill in the fourth wall and make the performance complete.

Certainly my father always rated him and had the pleasure of working with him on one of those Rank Xero training films along with [namedrop alert!] Penelope Keith.
              Last edited by Stillhomewardbound; 05-08-11, 08:33.

Comment

Working...
              X