X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Free-to-air Sky Arts

Now that Sky Arts is available free-to-air on Freeview Channel 11 and Freesat Channel 147, I thought details of some programmes in the coming week might be of interest to non-Sky-subscribers.

20th September 1100-1330 : Madama Butterfly (ROH/Pappano) Repeated 23rd September 0630-0900
    22nd September 0600-0700: Short Rides With John Adams
    22nd September 0700-0900: Cinderella with Australian Ballet
    23rd September 2000-2130: Live 'drive-in' ENO Le Boheme from Alexandra Palace
    24th September 0730-0900: Documentary on Simon Rattle's tenure at the BPO
    25th September 0655-0900: Repeat of Haitink conducting Mozart and Bruckne
    26th September 1100-1315: Simon Rattle conducts Stravinsky Ballets.

I'm happy to update regularly if people are interested.
    Last edited by LMcD; 20-09-20, 19:47.
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    I thought details of some programmes in the coming week might be of interest.

20th September 1100-1330 : Madama Butterfly (ROH/Pappano) Repeated 23rd September 0630-0900

I'm happy to update weekly if people are interested.
    Yes please do LMcD.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Yes please do LMcD.
      Seconded, thanks!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
        Seconded, thanks!
        Thirded. Looks like I will have to edit and burn some of the programmes I have on the hard disc of my hard disc/Blu-ray recorder to Blu-ray pretty quick. The hard disc is very nearly full.

Comment

• Edgy 2
          • Jan 2019

I thought details of some programmes in the coming week might be of interest.

I'm happy to update weekly if people are interested.
          Thanks LMcD
          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• LHC
            • Jan 2011

There is also a live ‘Drive in’ performance of La Boheme from ENO at Alexandra Palace on Wednesday at 8:00 pm, and a documentary about Simon Rattle’s time at the Berlin Phil at 7:30 am on Thursday.
            "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• muzzer
              • Nov 2013

Thank you and yes please. Plenty of interesting programmes on this channel.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Is this also available "free" via internet links, or only via paid for online channels?

I can set up a Freesat box to pick this up, but unfortunately getting off-air broadcasts directly is very difficult up here, so I gave up and we do almost all of our watching now via internet and catch-up.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Is this also available "free" via internet links, or only via paid for online channels?

I can set up a Freesat box to pick this up, but unfortunately getting off-air broadcasts directly is very difficult up here, so I gave up and we do almost all of our watching now via internet and catch-up.
                  While there is at least one site claiming that some Sky Arts programmes were to be made available free online, this does not appear to have happened as yet. Programmes are available, however, via a suitable TV Now subscription (with a 7 day free tiral).

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                    There is also a live ‘Drive in’ performance of La Boheme from ENO at Alexandra Palace on Wednesday at 8:00 pm, and a documentary about Simon Rattle’s time at the Berlin Phil at 7:30 am on Thursday.
                    Thank you - OP updated. I'm sure I shall enjoy learning what to include and what not - I'm assuming there aren't that many Andre Rieu fans among Forum members! The Sky Arts EPG on my telly currently seems to cover just the next 7 days, but I'll see if I can find another source that might enable people to plan a bit further ahead.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      While there is at least one site claiming that some Sky Arts programmes were to be made available free online, this does not appear to have happened as yet. Programmes are available, however, via a suitable TV Now subscription (with a 7 day free tiral).
                      Indeed, but we only join Now TV for odd months at a time, when there is something we really want to watch. If it's on satellite I can - with a modicum of effort - pick it up on our Freesat box, but that's not permanently connected now as mostly online works best in this location. I wonder if it'll appear as a Roku channel?

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Indeed, but we only join Now TV for odd months at a time, when there is something we really want to watch. If it's on satellite I can - with a modicum of effort - pick it up on our Freesat box, but that's not permanently connected now as mostly online works best in this location. I wonder if it'll appear as a Roku channel?
                        I recently bought an HD TV set (charity shop) and indoor aerial (via Amazon) for the grand total of £26 and thus added Freeview to our existing Freesat. This will also help when, as happens, I can't record a particular Freesat channel and watch another at the same time.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

I recently bought an HD TV set (charity shop) and indoor aerial (via Amazon) for the grand total of £26 and thus added Freeview to our existing Freesat. This will also help when, as happens, I can't record a particular Freesat channel and watch another at the same time.
                          Lucky you being able to pick up signals on an indoor aerial - I assume you tested it. Here it's very marginal even with a decent aerial. I think an aerial fitter can just get a signal with a high gain aerial and a mast on the roof, otherwise it's hopeless. I did measure, or try to, the signal levels. I tried a decent aerial in the loft - still not good enough. The cost of having exernal work and wiring done just didn't seem worthwhile given the availability of online services.

I rather wish we could receive off air services as an additional method, but all my attempts in this area have failed. I even took a high gain aerial out in a car, with a meter to see if I could find a nearby location with sufficient oomph - should be possible, but I couldn't find anywhere good.

We have enough kit to make things work inside if there is an input signal which is strong and good enough. Which there isn't, or would be too costly to set up.
                          Last edited by Dave2002; 20-09-20, 09:55.

Comment

• LHC
                            • Jan 2011

Lucky you being able to pick up signals on an indoor aerial - I assume you tested it. Here it's very marginal even with a decent aerial. I think an aerial fitter can just get a signal with a high gain aerial and a mast on the roof, otherwise it's hopeless. I did measure, or try to, the signal levels. I tried a decent aerial in the loft - still not good enough. The cost of having exernal work and wiring done just didn't seem worthwhile given the availability of online services.

I rather wish we could receive off air services as an additional method, but all my attempts in this area have failed. I even took a high gain aerial out in a car, with a meter to see if I could find a nearby location with sufficient oomph - should be possible, but I couldn't find anywhere good.

We have enough kit to make things work inside if there is an input signal which is strong and good enough. Which there isn't, or would be too costly to set up.
                            The Freeview Play website suggests that you should be able to view Sky Arts using the Freeview Play app on phones or tablets, or on its website for free. That might be worth trying.
                            "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                            Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                              The Freeview Play website suggests that you should be able to view Sky Arts using the Freeview Play app on phones or tablets, or on its website for free. That might be worth trying.
                              Thanks. I'll look into that - as apparently there is something we "want" to watch on Wednesday. I guess that's the La Boheme.

Comment

Working...
                              X