X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Wasps' nests

I just noticed a wasp's nest in a shed outside. Should I just leave it alone, in the hope that eventually the wasps will go away, or should I actively deal with it?
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I just noticed a wasp's nest in a shed outside. Should I just leave it alone, in the hope that eventually the wasps will go away, or should I actively deal with it?
    If it's not actually causing you problems - such as being unable to access the shed - then leave it. It isn't a permanent dwelling and once it's served its purpose they will leave/die in the autumn. If you do leave it it's worth noting their route out of the shed so that you can better avoid coming into contact.

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

or should I actively deal with it?
      Have you ever heard the expression, "to stir up a hornets' nest"?

Comment

• Bella Kemp
        • Aug 2014

They are beneficial to both garden and the general environment, so unless you have an allergy and may be seriously harmed by the odd sting now and again, I suggest you leave them in peace and let Nature carry on quietly doing its good for us all.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Yes!

Wasps and humans may have a rocky relationship. But should these insects be revered rather than feared?

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I'm happy to leave the nest where it is for the moment, but should I smash it up during the winter, when I think there won't be a problem? I have previously found nests in lofts, which seemed to be empty, and just fell apart with a few strokes.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

I'm happy to leave the nest where it is for the moment, but should I smash it up during the winter, when I think there won't be a problem? I have previously found nests in lofts, which seemed to be empty, and just fell apart with a few strokes.
              They won't come back next season to reuse the nest, so you don't need to take it down for that reason.

Comment

• Rjw
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
                They are beneficial to both garden and the general environment, so unless you have an allergy and may be seriously harmed by the odd sting now and again, I suggest you leave them in peace and let Nature carry on quietly doing its good for us all.
                You are a

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

One of the things I love on a dry calm sunny day is when you can see, and hear, wasps scraping away slivers of wood from benches, fence posts and the like, and which they then, I assume, regurgitate to create their lovely wee bykes. They can still be right wee buggers, mind you...I have lately taken to blowing them away from me rather than swatting...it works better for me, but I wonder if it says something about a need for more mouthwash on my part.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    One of the things I love on a dry calm sunny day is when you can see, and hear, wasps scraping away slivers of wood from benches, fence posts and the like, and which they then, I assume, regurgitate to create their lovely wee bykes. They can still be right wee buggers, mind you...I have lately taken to blowing them away from me rather than swatting...it works better for me, but I wonder if it says something about a need for more mouthwash on my part.
                    It can be a surprisingly loud noise can't it? Favoured patches of wood get a fluffy appearance as a result of repeated munchings exposing the wood fibres. When I had my allotment the first sightings/soundings were the cue to keep an eye out for nest building inside the shed. While the nests were golfball size hanging from the ceiling they could be safely removed and a repeat attempt was rarely made. I didn't like doing that but as I react badly to stings, and going in and out of the shed would cause irritation to both parties, I felt it was the only option. There was another very ramshackle shed on the plot which didn't need to be accessed much that they could, and did, use.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

A good way of deterring wasps from your bbq or picnic.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        A good way of deterring wasps from your bbq or picnic.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/60939401178473615/
                        I hadn't realised that! Back where I lived before, where wasps were an annual nuisance to eating outdoors, a small amount of beer would be left in a glass. This attracted the wasps, who would then drown in the golden liquid. You can imagine the buzz being passed around the vespal community: "Psst: have you heard they're drinking beer at No 51?" "I know; but you have to be careful, since once you are inside the glass it's very difficult to escape, like in those pitcher plants, and you can end up drowning!" "Yeah, but what a way to go!"

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          I hadn't realised that! Back where I lived before, where wasps were an annual nuisance to eating outdoors, a small amount of beer would be left in a glass. This attracted the wasps, who would then drown in the golden liquid. You can imagine the buzz being passed around the vespal community: "Psst: have you heard they're drinking beer at No 51?" "I know; but you have to be careful, since once you are inside the glass it's very difficult to escape, like in those pitcher plants, and you can end up drowning!" "Yeah, but what a way to go!"
                          I remember a biology teacher at school explaining the vasodilatory effects of alcohol. Someone then asked why Swiss mountain rescue dogs (St. Bernards) had a small container of brandy on their collars. His answer was " well, if you're going to die anyway, it's better to die pissed than to die sober!" .

OG

Comment

Working...
                          X