• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Save our food standards

US/UK Brexit negotiations hotting up & hidden away.... worst fears confirmed etc.....
    We'll see a lot like this next few months and have to keep making our voices heard...

Please support this &/or anything similar....
    Our mission is to create a fairer, simpler and safer world for consumers. Join our growing community of supporters and together we can build a brighter future for everyone.

Could use another Famous Footballer here couldn't we?
    ​Never stop fighting till the fight is done
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 19-06-20, 14:21.
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      US/UK Brexit negotiations hotting up & hidden away.... worst fears confirmed etc.....

Our mission is to create a fairer, simpler and safer world for consumers. Join our growing community of supporters and together we can build a brighter future for everyone.

The local MP has made a big noise about this but then didn't record a vote when an amendment to the Agriculture Bill to support maintenance of standards was being debated recently. He has since said that he, in effect, believes the assurances on the matter given by Useless Eustice and the Truss. Well he would say that, good little Tory that he is, but I doubt I'm the only one to think that their assurances mean the exact opposite of what is being said. In any case Liz Truss is so gormless I doubt she would notice if she had signed our standards away in the US - the thrill of bringing home a trade deal would result in selective blindness and a loss of such critical faculties as she might possess.
      My concern is that the US is very anti labelling info, so on that basis consumers would find it impossible to know the origin of what they are buying, unless they get it direct from a UK producer. I know that many/most don't bother to look at the label for origins(at best looking for the red tractor for meat and a union flag for veg) - and can be quite surprised to find that their premium meal contains Thai chicken for instance - but that's not a reason to remove that option completely. I can see it happening though.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        We'll see a lot like this next few months and have to keep making our voices heard...

I've signed, as have nearly 150,000 people so far.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Signed as well - nearly 160,000 now.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Haven't we already had a petition on this?

Signed, anyway.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Haven't we already had a petition on this?

Signed, anyway.
              This one seems to be organized by Which magazine, rather than via Change. org or the (now defunct?) government website.

Comment

• AmpH
                • Feb 2012

The ( EU ) standards under which we current operate exist for very good reasons and must not be compromised. Duly signed.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  The local MP has made a big noise about this but then didn't record a vote when an amendment to the Agriculture Bill to support maintenance of standards was being debated recently. He has since said that he, in effect, believes the assurances on the matter given by Useless Eustice and the Truss. Well he would say that, good little Tory that he is, but I doubt I'm the only one to think that their assurances mean the exact opposite of what is being said. In any case Liz Truss is so gormless I doubt she would notice if she had signed our standards away in the US - the thrill of bringing home a trade deal would result in selective blindness and a loss of such critical faculties as she might possess.
                  My concern is that the US is very anti labelling info, so on that basis consumers would find it impossible to know the origin of what they are buying, unless they get it direct from a UK producer. I know that many/most don't bother to look at the label for origins(at best looking for the red tractor for meat and a union flag for veg) - and can be quite surprised to find that their premium meal contains Thai chicken for instance - but that's not a reason to remove that option completely. I can see it happening though.

....you're on the money there just going to look up my own MP....Ah yes Julian Smith has STILL never voted against the Conservatives....as usual....
                  bong ching

Comment

• Count Boso

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    This one seems to be organized by Which magazine, rather than via Change. org or the (now defunct?) government website.
                    I think a Which-led campaign will have more clout than Change on this. Amazed at figures for food poisoning in the US. Signed.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                      • Mar 2007

this is what Brexit was all about - taking back control and giving it to those who see great profits once the EU consumer protection requirements are removed - remember the effects arising from the Blessed Margaret's arrangement re adopting lower standards on feeding cows the insufficiently cooked remnants of their diseased companions based I understand on some American proposals that such was perfectly safe.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

I wasn't sure whether some of the chlorine bleached chicken etc. was so bad, having probably eaten some in the USA. I asked a professional microbiologist, and he nearly went apopleptic. The problem seems to be that it covers up poor animal and food management, and although if good procedures are followed (in which case the chlorine/bleach probably wouldn't be necesssary anyway), it really does cover up poor practices which are a potential public health hazard. That's my interpretation of what I was told, anyway.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          I wasn't sure whether some of the chlorine bleached chicken etc. was so bad, having probably eaten some in the USA.
                          You never know, Dave; it might have turned you into the person you are today!

I asked a professional microbiologist, and he nearly went apopleptic. The problem seems to be that it covers up poor animal and food management, and although if good procedures are followed (in which case the chlorine/bleach probably wouldn't be necesssary anyway), it really does cover up poor practices which are a potential public health hazard. That's my interpretation of what I was told, anyway.
                          I am given to wondering what the effect on one's health might be of having consumed any chorine/bleach at all. The latter doesn't seem to have made much, er, difference, to Trump, assuming he had actually gone ahead and followed his own advice!

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Signed. This is a serious issue, and concerned friends in USA agree.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                              • Nov 2010

....it really is an important issue the chlorine masks bad hygeine, poor standards of preparation, and washing....its the odd bit of bacteria etc that the chlorine misses on the production line that is the health hazard writ LARGE....

yes S_A, i'm hoping there is a little bit of bacteria laying in wait for him....a TREMENDOUS bit of bacteria
                              bong ching

Comment

Working...
                              X