X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
    If I could get away with just three-hour training runs that would be quite impressive, but at my speed nowadays the longest training runs are closer to five!

One doesn’t _start_ with those of course. One builds up. If that makes it any easier to imagine?
    It’s just the time involved really, esp as I am still working. I do enjoy longer runs, and have done a few half marathons. Anyway, main thing is to enjoy it, and usually a rigorous hour is what I enjoy and find time for . I suppose a marathon could be a retirement project . Quite a challenge as state retirement age heads upwards !!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Mario View Post
      Ahem…

I’ve just passed my Grade 6 Music Theory exam.

I’m very happy.
      I'm bumping this as I fear it got lost in the other good news of the day.
      I'm sure that there are others here who remember Mario's quest and his thirst for musical knowledge, always gratefully received, and it is great to read that after two years of hard study it has reaped rewards.

Comment

• Mario
        • Aug 2020

Very kind of you Pulcie.

I’m slightly embarrassed at trumpeting such a minor achievement in comparison to the achievements of several others on this forum.

Still, it means much to me.

Now, regarding Grade 7, what’s in the syllabus, I wonder…

Well, figured bass, ok,
        Suspensions, progressions, ok,
        Modulations – ah! Been dying to learn these pesky things,
        Constructing a chorale… aaagh!
        Navigating a score, this MUST be useful to me.

Seems like another two years of hard work.

To those who are light years ahead of me, you do understand my inestimable respect for you, don’t you?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I'm bumping this as I fear it got lost in the other good news of the day.
          I'm sure that there are others here who remember Mario's quest and his thirst for musical knowledge, always gratefully received, and it is great to read that after two years of hard study it has reaped rewards.
          Well done, mine host - and well done, Mario Thank you for looking in to share the good news, I'm sure you'll reap much benefit!
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Well done, mine host - and well done, Mario Thank you for looking in to share the good news, I'm sure you'll reap much benefit!
            ....well done Mario....
            bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Mario View Post
              Very kind of you Pulcie.

I’m slightly embarrassed at trumpeting such a minor achievement in comparison to the achievements of several others on this forum.

Still, it means much to me.

Now, regarding Grade 7, what’s in the syllabus, I wonder…

Well, figured bass, ok,
              Suspensions, progressions, ok,
              Modulations – ah! Been dying to learn these pesky things,
              Constructing a chorale… aaagh!
              Navigating a score, this MUST be useful to me.

Seems like another two years of hard work.

To those who are light years ahead of me, you do understand my inestimable respect for you, don’t you?
              No need to be embarrassed Mario. Comparisons are odious(or odorous as our family had it), and have no place in personal achievements. Be proud of your efforts, and my congratulations on your success. I hope your efforts on the next stage are equally rewarding.

Comment

• Mario
                • Aug 2020

Thanks to all.

I’m prouder of HOW this was achieved.

Much as I love my country dearly, teaching methods and standards here can in no way possibly compare to those available in the UK – no wonder most foreigners wish to be taught there!

The online teaching service I’m using is

www.mymusictheory.com

Ms Victoria Williams is a delightful lady, based (I think) in Leeds, UK.

Best wishes

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

I just renewed my driving licence online - successfully, I think, although one can never be absolutely sure until the new one arrives or an official email to the contrary. Can't find any records of the last time I did this, or if it was online or by post, so one wonders if one has given consistent details. Luckily I do remember my mother's maiden name, (surely this anachronistic concept of women having maiden names needs to be updated or done away with?); but whether or not Middlesbrough was where she was actually born I have no proof and only the slightest of knowledge - there's no place of birth on her birth certificate - so we'll just have to wait for the fortnight to pass and see. Otherwise renewing this way seems to be a reasonably straightforward process.

Comment

Working...
                  X