Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Rhubarb is abundant hereabouts but in our garden has grown with less vigour, mainly I think because of the drought.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
      .... the Rhubarb Triangle....
      I have begun to think that this must be a real thing, and not the invention of Spike Milligan.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        I have begun to think that this must be a real thing, and not the invention of Spike Milligan.
        Whereas, as every schoolboy knows, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb_Triangle

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Whereas, as every schoolboy knows, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb_Triangle
          Just because it has a Wiki entry doesn't mean it exists...

...on the other hand, there are those who believe the Yorkshire Rhubarb Triangle has similar properties to the Bermuda Triangle

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

...on the other hand, there are those who believe the Yorkshire Rhubarb Triangle has similar properties to the Bermuda Triangle
            O.k., https://theyorkshiresociety.org/the-...barb-triangle/ and many other such supporting evidence.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Which most people believe to be a load of rhubarb.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

O.k., https://theyorkshiresociety.org/the-...barb-triangle/ and many other such supporting evidence.
                Fair enough, Bryn. I should perhaps have placed a at the end of the first line of my post at #439.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

....with this abundance of rhubarb it is of course a shame that the Cornflour Miners of Rochdale are on strike....a spokesman for the miners said " one minute it is thixatropic next moment there's a co-agulation [sic] and the milk-cornflour interface just curdles our relationship with management"....French workers are being brought in and are said to be egged on reference custard "We don't want any covalent bonds with British wurkaaz" Bain-Marie a French Saucey Dessert. "We need to keep the temperature down to keep things stable"....
                  bong ching

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    ....with this abundance of rhubarb it is of course a shame that the Cornflour Miners of Rochdale are on strike....a spokesman for the miners said " one minute it is thixatropic next moment there's a co-agulation [sic] and the milk-cornflour interface just curdles our relationship with management"....French workers are being brought in and are said to be egged on reference custard "We don't want any covalent bonds with British wurkaaz" Bain-Marie a French Saucey Dessert. "We need to keep the temperature down to keep things stable"....
                    A potentially explosive situation, what?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

A potentially explosive situation, what?
                      ....Comrades in the mix of it are wondering if by going to the locus of the situation - whether the management in charge will crumble....
                      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Just now I was literally putting on my mac in order to visit the local pharmacy to find out if they could give me the new flu jab when the phone rang, and it was the local surgery inviting me to book there for the same purpose! They're opening tomorrow to administer the jab - the surgery, that is - and I am down for 2.10pm. Yippee!

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                          Sacheen Littlefeather has finally received an apology from the Oscars after rejecting an award on behalf of Marlon Brando in 1973.

'We Indians are very patient people - it's only been fifty years.'

Revenge can be gentle.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Hopefully I am at last getting somewhere with Southwark Council over my council tax payments. Back 4 months ago they informed us who receive their online newsletter that everyone who paid by direct debit would have had the £150 cross-nation energy rebate payment automatically paid into their respective bank accounts. I emailed to say I hadn't received mine. The department in question then told me that to get my payment I had to send off my birth certificate and given them such information as my mother's maiden name, my first pet's name and the memory association word-thingy I had first given them when signing on for online payments, and my last address before moving to London. I thought - sod all that! - for one thing I'm not risking sending my one-and-only birth certificate through a postal service currently bedevilled with industrial relations problems! I subsequently realised that payment online each month probably didn't qualify as direct debit, which one assumed must by definition be an automatic transaction. Then last month the council computer inexplicably rejected my debit card! I emailed one of our two local councillors - I still have had no reply to my query, other than acknowledgement that it had been received; today however I have got an email from the council telling me I am on their list of non-recipients of the £150, which must be paid by Sept 30 but which (?) I can apply for by clicking this link, which would get the sum transferred from my council tax account back into my personal bank account... which I did: it led me to a form on which I had to enter all my usual details for council tax payment online, plus a few in addition, but, oddly, not asking for my bank account number. I did this and immediately received an email acknowledging receipt of my request. The question is, given that they have the record of my online payments, surely the amount will automatically paid into the account from which I have made all my payments. But for that to happen their system will have to recognise the debit card number it refused to recognise when I tried to pay in last month!

The suspense of all this is killing me - await the next installment of this thrilling series!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              - await the next installment of this thrilling series!
                              I am, I am

Meanwhile, I've just had my autumn 'flu jab. The letter was held up in the post, but ordering a prescription online I saw I had an appointment for today at 17.03 - 17.04 (please don't be early or late!). And although I was probably 10 minutes early, in I went straight away, was ticked off the list and sent to Table 2. Took off my jacket and rolled up my T-shirt sleeve. Ouf! Put my jacket on again and went out. There was no actual queue, just a stream of people going in and coming out. And all the staff were looking remarkably cheerful considering it was getting towards the end of a working day. Well done the NHS.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                I am, I am

Meanwhile, I've just had my autumn 'flu jab. The letter was held up in the post, but ordering a prescription online I saw I had an appointment for today at 17.03 - 17.04 (please don't be early or late!). And although I was probably 10 minutes early, in I went straight away, was ticked off the list and sent to Table 2. Took off my jacket and rolled up my T-shirt sleeve. Ouf! Put my jacket on again and went out. There was no actual queue, just a stream of people going in and coming out. And all the staff were looking remarkably cheerful considering it was getting towards the end of a working day. Well done the NHS.
                                Same experience in my case - however I've noticed they don't bother these days to swab the area to be vaccinated or cover with a plaster afterwards, which they always do the flu jab at either my local surgery or the pharmacy where I get my prescription. Neither do the press one to stay on site for 15 minutes afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X