X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    A letter from the DWP arrived this morning. After ploughing through 7 pages of confusing and apparently mostly irrelevant verbiage I managed to extract the welcome news that my State Pension payments have been adjusted so that I will now get the correct amount and that I will receive back payment for the shortfall from last August. As I don't get a full pension anyway the extra £5-20 pw is welcome. The letter's arrival was also good timing as phoning DWP was on my list for today because more than 2 months ago I got in touch to say that HMRC had made a mistake* with my NI contribution record and so my payments had been incorrectly calculated. After various questions I was told that I would have a response within 7 - 10 days - which had been and gone.

* They had "disappeared" a complete long-past year's contributions, and it was only by complete chance that I found out. Fortunately I had both the relevant bank statement and also two previous NI statements to prove, if necessary, that it was their mistake - but how many folk would think it necessary to double check to 13 years ago let alone still have the paperwork? How did it happen, was it an isolated incident?
    ooo(h) that's good!

Pleasure to come for me...

...next year's the year - unless they change the pension age, of course!

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Sacheen Littlefeather has finally received an apology from the Oscars after rejecting an award on behalf of Marlon Brando in 1973.

'We Indians are very patient people - it's only been fifty years.'

Revenge can be gentle.

Comment

• Maclintick
        • Jan 2012

I was cheered up by the news that district councils across the country from The Wirral to Cornwall have cancelled all meetings for the 2-week period of "Official Mourning". Cynics opined that this provides proof that none of these assemblages were of any consequence in the first place, but I prefer to think that Town Hall torpidity and the silencing of municipal tongue-waggers for a fortnight represents an entirely apposite tribute which reflects the state of "Broken Britain".

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
          I was cheered up by the news that district councils across the country from The Wirral to Cornwall have cancelled all meetings for the 2-week period of "Official Mourning". Cynics opined that this provides proof that none of these assemblages were of any consequence in the first place, but I prefer to think that Town Hall torpidity and the silencing of municipal tongue-waggers for a fortnight represents an entirely apposite tribute which reflects the state of "Broken Britain".
          ....what about -from Carlisle -Berwick - Humber....
          bong ching

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
            I think that in her victory speech on 5th September missed a trick by saying Kyiv to Carlisle when she could have included Scotland, embracing the Union and said Kyle of Localsh or Caithness instead of Carlisle!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Up and down, side to side even? But to be fair if government has been MIA for some time while it plays follow my leader and is now taking the opportunity to prolong that further with the official mourning period why shouldn't local councils follow suit?

Comment

• Maclintick
                • Jan 2012

Red Wall, innit ?
                …bong kerboing !

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Up and down, side to side even? But to be fair if government has been MIA for some time while it plays follow my leader and is now taking the opportunity to prolong that further with the official mourning period why shouldn't local councils follow suit?
                  ....is this their new def' of Leveling Up....Up and down, side to side even
                  bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

....is this their new def' of LevellinUp....Up and down, side to side even
                    Cape Wrath to Toll Puddle....
                    bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

....with all the financial problems that are piling up they may have to limit the geographical scope to the Rhubarb Triangle....
                      bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

....with all the financial problems that are piling up they may have to limit the geographical scope to the Rhubarb Triangle....
                        Well that would suit them as climate change is affecting rhubarb production (it needs a certain amount of proper cold weather during the winter) so that the famed triangle may cease to exist before too long. Limited input for a limited time - result.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

Well that would suit them as climate change is affecting rhubarb production (it needs a certain amount of proper cold weather during the winter) so that the famed triangle may cease to exist before too long. Limited input for a limited time - result.
                          ....Scottish relocation - triantan ruadh-bhroinn....
                          bong ching

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

The good news is, there still is one:

(I think there was some doubt, based on the recent form of other - ahem - presenters)
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Is that going to affect the UK's productivity and economic data - GDP etc.? Is there a big export market for rhubarb?

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Is that going to affect the UK's productivity and economic data - GDP etc.? Is there a big export market for rhubarb?
                                Our rhubarb has been enormous this year - best I’ve seen it for whatever reason - hardly any winter frosts this year!

Comment

Working...
                                X