X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    An NHS emailed invitation came my way this morning, KB.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      I wasn't asked to hang around for the 15 minutes required after the first three jabs, which was just as well, given that there were only two chairs placed outside the little room at the back of the chemist's where the injection was being delivered. Maybe they figure the wait as not being as necessary as initially thought? The sweet little old lady of 82 in front of me had forgotten to bring a face mask, and the manageress asked one of the assistants to give her a free one - typical of the hospitality offered by this particular establishment.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

I wasn't asked to hang around for the 15 minutes required after the first three jabs, which was just as well, given that there were only two chairs placed outside the little room at the back of the chemist's where the injection was being delivered. Maybe they figure the wait as not being as necessary as initially thought? The sweet little old lady of 82 in front of me had forgotten to bring a face mask, and the manageress asked one of the assistants to give her a free one - typical of the hospitality offered by this particular establishment.
        Until very recently, the local buses here in Bracknell carried free basic surgical masks for those who failed to provide their own.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Were you responding to a (text) invitation to book - or did you take the initiative?
          My reason for asking was that I'm going to Italy in three weeks. I've had my 3 jabs, and think getting the second booster before I travel would be handy, so have been wondering about phoning 119 and seeing if I can book an appointment (as I qualify on age grounds). I may still do so.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

My reason for asking was that I'm going to Italy in three weeks. I've had my 3 jabs, and think getting the second booster before I travel would be handy, so have been wondering about phoning 119 and seeing if I can book an appointment (as I qualify on age grounds). I may still do so.
            It might be worth waiting a few more days to see if the NHS get in touch with you, by email or phone, as they have me. The online booking system was straightforward, and at a certain point in the sequence of instructions one has the option of choosing one vaccination site from a selection, listed with details of the distance from one's postal code. I mention this because the woman who injected me mentioned people having used other booking systems without offering a choice of venue - one of whom had come all the way from The Oval (5 miles) to get his done.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Manageress...

...how quaint!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                Manageress...

...how quaint!
                Is it? I wouldn't know...

Comment

• Edgy 2
                  • Jan 2019

BBC Philharmonic freebies at Media City are back (it's been a while)
                  I was in the audience at this chunk of today's afternoon concert

LIVE FROM THE PHILHARMONIC STUDIO IN MEDIA CITY UK, SALFORD:
                  Schumann: Overture, Die Braut von Messina
                  Chopin: Piano Concerto No 2 in F minor
                  Julia Perry: Short Piece
                  Juho Pohjonen, piano
                  BBC Philharmonic
                  Leslie Suganandarajah, conductor
                  “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Excellent personal news from this afternoon's eye tests at Specsavers has left me feeling elated:

1) It seems that, after all, I do have a brain.

2) In all probability the mysterious swirls, ripples and blind spots affecting me in 20-minute episodes every 3 days or so are nothing worse than "ocular migraines"; just possibly Charles Bonnet Syndrome - which I intend looking up.

3) The lass testing and advising me almost congratulated me on the very good state of my eyes for one of my age.

4) The "cure" should consist in taking my eye drops more frequently than I do, and not sitting for as long in front of the computer screen. I should perhaps make notes of my food intake preceding attacks.

5) If only the service still offered by the NHS were as good as today's experience! I only visited that particular Specsavers 2 days ago, and they were on the phone this morning. The obvious downside of course being the nearly £500 I've had to fork out for 3 pairs of glasses, but, hey-ho, that was actually a reduction, based on my age.

It's mostly just the relief after a year's mounting anxiety that this is all that is wrong with my eyes.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Good news indeed for us to share
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Excellent personal news from this afternoon's eye tests at Specsavers has left me feeling elated:

2) In all probability the mysterious swirls, ripples and blind spots affecting me in 20-minute episodes every 3 days or so are nothing worse than "ocular migraines"; just possibly Charles Bonnet Syndrome - which I intend looking up.

3) The lass testing and advising me almost congratulated me on the very good state of my eyes for one of my age.

4) The "cure" should consist in taking my eye drops more frequently than I do, and not sitting for as long in front of the computer screen. I should perhaps make notes of my food intake preceding attacks.

5) If only the service still offered by the NHS were as good as today's experience! I only visited that particular Specsavers 2 days ago, and they were on the phone this morning. The obvious downside of course being the nearly £500 I've had to fork out for 3 pairs of glasses, but, hey-ho, that was actually a reduction, based on my age.

It's mostly just the relief after a year's mounting anxiety that this is all that is wrong with my eyes.
                        Great news, S_A...

...and, as FF points out, that you do have a brain.

I also have been very impressed with the service from Specsavers, but as you note - it does come at a cost.

OG
                        Last edited by Old Grumpy; 29-05-22, 21:03.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Good to hear, S_A.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            ...and, as FF points out that you do have a brain.

I didn't notice I'd left that bit of quote in - I'd deleted a wordier version of my reply. Apologies S_A
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I didn't notice I'd left that bit of quote in - I'd deleted a wordier version of my reply. Apologies S_A

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

A letter from the DWP arrived this morning. After ploughing through 7 pages of confusing and apparently mostly irrelevant verbiage I managed to extract the welcome news that my State Pension payments have been adjusted so that I will now get the correct amount and that I will receive back payment for the shortfall from last August. As I don't get a full pension anyway the extra £5-20 pw is welcome. The letter's arrival was also good timing as phoning DWP was on my list for today because more than 2 months ago I got in touch to say that HMRC had made a mistake* with my NI contribution record and so my payments had been incorrectly calculated. After various questions I was told that I would have a response within 7 - 10 days - which had been and gone.

* They had "disappeared" a complete long-past year's contributions, and it was only by complete chance that I found out. Fortunately I had both the relevant bank statement and also two previous NI statements to prove, if necessary, that it was their mistake - but how many folk would think it necessary to double check to 13 years ago let alone still have the paperwork? How did it happen, was it an isolated incident?

Comment

Working...
                                X