• Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    This brightened up my morning

And this, mine:

Thou shalt eat trifle on Boxing Day – and thou shalt not serve Christmas pudding. It’s the law, as laid down by Jay Rayner

He read them out on this edition of The Verb

Ian McMillan is joined by John Hegley, Carol Ann Duffy, Kathryn Williams, and Jay Rayner.

which also included a rather moving song at the end with words by Carol Ann Duffy who was also a contributor to the programme
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• RichardB
      Banned
      • Nov 2021

My own good news story is: I made it to Wales today!!! - not having been in the UK for two years almost exactly. I did have to pay through the nose for a rental car because it isn't possible to get from Heathrow to Swansea by train on Boxing Day, although if it were I expect that would cost an arm and a leg too these days.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
        My own good news story is: I made it to Wales today!!! - not having been in the UK for two years almost exactly. I did have to pay through the nose for a rental car because it isn't possible to get from Heathrow to Swansea by train on Boxing Day, although if it were I expect that would cost an arm and a leg too these days.
        Have a nice time... despite the weather.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Just in time for the new Welsh Covid restrictions. How long will you be staying?

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Would probably include a chunk or two bus replacement if there are trains potentially running!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Would probably include a chunk or two bus replacement if there are trains potentially running!
              Indeed, so might as well opt for the bus(coach) in the first place! I don't visit my family at Christmas due to the lack of train service. If I've paid for a train ticket I don't see why I should have to put up with a bus for chunks of the journey - if bus travel was an option I would take it and it would cost much less.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                Have a nice time... despite the weather.

It's normal weather in Wales!

But that reminds me of the old joke about how to get to Wales in a car.

1) M4 across the Severn Bridge; or
                2) One in the front, one in the back.

There is another one about how to get to Wells, but I won't bother you with that!

Comment

• RichardB
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Too true. Anyway I'm supposed to be isolating until my Day 2 PCR test result comes back... what a pointless exercise that is, given that I had to get tested before departure anyway. Having travelled around a bit in Europe over recent months, while of course it's noticeable how different countries have different regulations for entry, the UK "system" (not to mention the differences between England, Wales and Scotland) seems to be by far the least logical, most complicated and most open to rule-bending and abuse. Which would be all very well if the result was that the UK is safer than the rest of Europe, but quite obviously it isn't. The phrase "taking back control" springs uncontrollably to mind in a somewhat ironic kind of way.

I know this is supposed to be the good news thread. Well, I am very happy to be here after so long, despite these irritations.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

But that reminds me of the old joke about how to get to Wales in a car.

1) M4 across the Severn Bridge; or
                    2) One in the front, one in the back.

There is another one about how to get to Wells, but I won't bother you with that!
                    You just swan off!

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Too true.
                      Croeso i Gymru, Rhisiart - if that's what we are to understand. My good news story: Christmas is over for another year.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Croeso i Gymru, Rhisiart - if that's what we are to understand. My good news story: Christmas is over for another year. :smiley:
                        Oh no it isn’t what was that you said Melchior? Be there by Epiphany?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

Christmas is over for another year.
                          ....yes, that slightly anxious feeling diminishes....logistical and temperal nausea tides ebb (these tides go out a long way, but be sure they will be back in approximately 335 days as "glad tidings" - back in the offing again)....
                          bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Croeso i Gymru, Rhisiart - if that's what we are to understand. My good news story: Christmas is over for another year.
                            You've seen the first Easter egg?

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

As every good Christain (and even I, a 'devout' atheist} knows, Christmas ain't over 'till February 2nd.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                As every good Christain (and even I, a 'devout' atheist} knows, Christmas ain't over 'till February 2nd.
                                Well, I must admit I've been invited to have lunch with my cousin tomorrow as part of 'Christmas' (as in, if it hadn't been Christmas I wouldn't have been invited). But even Boxing Day is only eating the previous day's leftovers, as far as anything specifically Christmassy is concerned. The cards have been sent and received, the presents given and received - or not depending on the recipient.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X