• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Having re-read the original several times I think you are right about the ball - but the sentence actually says "pop the ball out....and sterilise it" then gives the wash and put in the oven sterilising instructions without clarifying that 'it' is the bottle not the ball - although the bottles are usually plastic as well. I don't know if the original instructions from which the Guardian article summarised are any clearer.
    When making jam etc putting jars in the oven is as much about getting them thoroughly dry after washing and making sure they don't crack from thermal shock when the hot contents are added as sterilising. Getting the container dry would be important for the repurposing idea but using the oven is a dubious suggestion to my mind. I wonder if the buy new ones mentioned are glass?
    You're right, and the instructions are certainly not clear: it took a while for me to realise that the first sentence 'it' was (presumably) the container not the ball.

I think I'll stick with paracetamol.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      You're right, and the instructions are certainly not clear: it took a while for me to realise that the first sentence 'it' was (presumably) the container not the ball.

I think I'll stick with paracetamol.
      Certainly a big selection of roller bottles on Etsy, some do indeed appear to be glass...

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

One lives and learns...and apologies for continuing the offtopic trend. I had assumed that the containers would be similar to the deodorant versions, but I was wrong. They are much smaller for one thing, and usually glass which stands up to the oils better, although the ball may be plastic. This seems to be pretty comprehensive https://woopdiy.com/blogs/news/essen...r-bottle-guide and more use than the G version.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

The accompanying bath salts seem a little easier to prepare, even if, like me, you'd have to buy your genmaicha!

For the bath salts

A hot bath is a wonderful escape from the stresses of 2020; magnesium sulfate, more commonly known as Epsom salt, can help soothe sore muscles and ease tension.

In a bowl, combine 1 cup of Epsom salt and ⅓ cup of pink sea salt. Divide the mixture into two; add food-safe dried rosebuds or rose petals (try chiswicktea.com) to one, and ½ cup of green, loose-leaf tea, such as genmaicha, to the other (find it at whittard.co.uk). Or you could add dried lavender, or a couple of drops of lavender oil (for relaxation), or peppermint (for reinvigoration).

Package to your liking: in a small box, a paper bag, calico drawstring bag or cellophane bag (etsy.com has a large selection), or wrap in a muslin cloth (from johnlewis.com). Add a sticker saying “Use within six months”.

The ideas come from this book:

Sustainable Gifting, by Michelle Mackintosh, published by Hardie Grant at £12.99.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Sales of Scotch eggs have increased considerably following the various displays of ignorance by assorted government mouthpieces, and the resultant publicity across the media. It's very rare for government induced unintended consequences to have a positive effect but this seems to be one such case, and particularly welcome for the small producers who have been, like so many such food producers, particularly badly hit by the loss of orders from the pub and restaurant trade.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              The accompanying bath salts seem a little easier to prepare, even if, like me, you'd have to buy your genmaicha!

For the bath salts

A hot bath is a wonderful escape from the stresses of 2020; magnesium sulfate, more commonly known as Epsom salt, can help soothe sore muscles and ease tension.

In a bowl, combine 1 cup of Epsom salt and ⅓ cup of pink sea salt. Divide the mixture into two; add food-safe dried rosebuds or rose petals (try chiswicktea.com) to one, and ½ cup of green, loose-leaf tea, such as genmaicha, to the other (find it at whittard.co.uk). Or you could add dried lavender, or a couple of drops of lavender oil (for relaxation), or peppermint (for reinvigoration).

Package to your liking: in a small box, a paper bag, calico drawstring bag or cellophane bag (etsy.com has a large selection), or wrap in a muslin cloth (from johnlewis.com). Add a sticker saying “Use within six months”.

The ideas come from this book:

Sustainable Gifting, by Michelle Mackintosh, published by Hardie Grant at £12.99.
              I'd need to get all those ingredients, just for a bath?? Blimey!!!!

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I'd need to get all those ingredients, just for a bath?? Blimey!!!!
                Just add water........
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Sales of Scotch eggs have increased considerably following the various displays of ignorance by assorted government mouthpieces, and the resultant publicity across the media. It's very rare for government induced unintended consequences to have a positive effect but this seems to be one such case, and particularly welcome for the small producers who have been, like so many such food producers, particularly badly hit by the loss of orders from the pub and restaurant trade.
                  Two scotch eggs were brought onto a TV chat show on Friday, just to ask which one, if either, constituted a "substantial meal" according to current permissible pub opening requirements. All I was thinking was: the small one must have been laid by a very small chicken!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Just add water........
                    Necessary before taking the plunge!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Two scotch eggs were brought onto a TV chat show on Friday, just to ask which one, if either, constituted a "substantial meal" according to current permissible pub opening requirements. All I was thinking was: the small one must have been laid by a very small chicken!
                      At the behest of our son in law we went on a wild goose chase to Cleator Moor (not the most exciting place on the planet) trying to find " the best scotch eggs in the world" after viewing this programme. Couldn't find it anywhere! On a Google search there seem to be Facebook quotes dated 2020 though.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                        At the behest of our son in law we went on a wild goose chase to Cleator Moor (not the most exciting place on the planet) trying to find " the best scotch eggs in the world" after viewing this programme. Couldn't find it anywhere! On a Google search there seem to be Facebook quotes dated 2020 though.
                        So, you weren't able to discover what wild geese eggs taste like then!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

So, you weren't able to discover what wild geese eggs taste like then!
                          Indeed!

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

I think we can all rejoice at this happy outcome

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Comment

• gradus
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                                How on earth did Fazioli make 5 grands in such a short time and for that price? Not much of a return for all that work, or do Fazioli sell them by the dozen each year?
                                Fazioli workshops can't be like the one piano maker I have visited in Germany which looked like the place where Pinnocchio was made.

Comment

Working...
                                X