X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Is the Congestion Charge still in operation for motorists?
    It was suspended on March 23, ironically.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      Absolutely - but I'm not sure what he thought when the BBC News reporter described him as 'the star of the show' - it's not a 'show' and I'm not at all sure that Captain Tom regards himself as a 'star'.
      His place in the Firmament has obviously been postponed...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        It is outrageous that such action is necessary but it's not really anything new - it's the scale of it (reflecting the public's feelings about the crisis) that is noteworthy. A couple of things bother me though - the money and its administration, and the message sent to a government which over the years has been leaning increasingly on the charity sector to plug the gap for activities and responsibilities it doesn't want to put money into.
        There are no national plans in the sense I understand them for anything to do with the Covid 19 crisis so the thought of a large sum of money going into a central melting pot with a vague generic NHS Charities title makes me fear for its future. How much will disappear in 'admin', how will decisions be made about deserving causes, how long will desperate people and activities have to wait before they see any money? Past and current performance doesn't inspire confidence in me that this gentleman's efforts will be treated with the respect they deserve or achieve what the public would expect.
        Then there is the intended guilt trip: no alternative; never mind the cuts, we are where we are, etc etc. The tendency outside supermarkets is nowadays to replace the perfectly acceptable practice of making contributions to street collectors with the requirement to sign up to regular donations. This form of arm-twisting just ups the pressure. I always say, well, if you're not prepared to take my couple of quids worth right now then I'm afraid you've forfeited any support from me.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

South London Scrubbers!

*(there are some truly wonderful people around)

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Something to lift the spirits?
            What does the Guardian’s decorated Sports photographer do in lockdown? Tom Jenkins has been taking an enforced break from action photography and pursuing a different kind of vision in his garden

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Most definitely. Lovely pix.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Meanwhile:

A fire crew was called out yesterday (Thursday) to rescue a donkey, called Daniel, who had got his hoof stuck in a kettle.

The crew, from Whitby, used pliers to release Daniel's hoof and left him with his owner.

(York Press)

Comment

• Boilk
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Meanwhile:
                  A fire crew was called out yesterday (Thursday) to rescue a donkey, called Daniel, who had got his hoof stuck in a kettle.
                  The crew, from Whitby, used pliers to release Daniel's hoof and left him with his owner.
                  (York Press)
                  A donkey with its hoof stuck in a kettle? For locked down neigh-bours () the rescue operation must have caused quite a brew-ha-ha.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                    A donkey with its hoof stuck in a kettle? For locked down neigh-bours () the rescue operation must have caused quite a brew-ha-ha.
                    Using assistance animals is not without its problems it would seem?

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

We've been spared from The Eurovision Song Cpntest!

Did anyone hear the closing minutes of today's World at One? Quita a gas.

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

Live Music Returns to Wigmore Hall in New Broadcast Series

Musicians including Mark Padmore, Mitsuko Uchida, Angela Hewitt and Stephen Hough feature in ‘empty hall’ concert series to be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 in June (Guardian)

Musicians including Mark Padmore, Mitsuko Uchida, Angela Hewitt and Stephen Hough feature in ‘empty hall’ concert series to be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 in June
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                          We've been spared from The Eurovision Song Contest!

Did anyone hear the closing minutes of today's World at One? Quite a gas.
                          That's a relief, for one year!

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            That's a relief, for one year!
                            There's a night of Eurovision-themed programmes on BBC TV on Saturday evening, hosted by Graham Norton.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                              There's a night of Eurovision-themed programmes on BBC TV on Saturday evening, hosted by Graham Norton.

Comment

Working...
                              X