• Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    This (announced 28 Jan, coming soon) might be a good radio alternative:

https://www.news.co.uk/2020/01/news-...f-times-radio/
    Presumably with a link to The Times. Who owns The Times?

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

The News is always somebody else's idea of what we should be told, be discussing etc. To be treated with the greatest caution, whatever the source.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        Presumably with a link to The Times. Who owns The Times?
        True.
        The article says this:

Editor of The Times, John Witherow, said: “Times Radio will provide provocative, well-informed, entertaining and useful discussion covering the key stories of the day, and informing the national conversation. Times Radio, infused with our world-class journalism, will be the perfect complement to our print and online offer.”

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        The News is always somebody else's idea of what we should be told, be discussing etc. To be treated with the greatest caution, whatever the source.
        Even more true.

But I've found The Times to be reasonably fair in its reporting (while not agreeing with all of its stance).
        I might give the station a whirl in the morning (though waking up to silence might still be preferable); gave up on R3 and R4 ages ago.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Surprised to see no mention of Sky News or BBC News 24 here... still trusted and reliable services for me with plenty of depth and analysis in various slots, not least the excellent Press Previews late each evening, with a wide range of writers, journalists, broadcasters in discussion with the news presenter... they usually manage to entertain as well as enlighten and often have pretty lively debate! I enjoy the unlikely pairings striking sparks - e.g Stig Abell and Carole Malone...

I'd be sad if News 24 was lessened in any way, same goes for Newsnight whose presentation/analysis are generally up-to-speed....

BBC4's Beyond 100 Days is pretty good too, offering more depth on US and Global issues with some charismatic presentation - Katty Kay and Christian Fraser, who have a great onscreen chemistry....
          I don't have Sky, can't say I'm tempted by what's on offer. Horses for courses, I guess.

OG

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            I don't have Sky, can't say I'm tempted by what's on offer. Horses for courses, I guess.

OG
            Sky News is on Freeview Ch 233

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              Sky News is on Freeview Ch 233
              ... and Freesat 202

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                BBC News 24 became the BBC News Channel on April 21st 2008 and is, I'm afraid, frequently guilty of the sort of crassness mentioned in #1. On the rare occasions when I tune into Sky News I soon tire of waiting for the commercials to end. It looks as if Newsnight is going to be in the firing line in a big way - fewer filmed reports - when the cuts are implemented. My main sources of news are the 6 p.m. Radio 4 bulletin and the World Service. The red button, the proposed closure of which is up for review, and France 24 are good for headlines. I do watch The Papers on the News Channel, especially when the guests are Jo Phillips and Nigel Nelson - oh, and Mihir Bohse! (And Robert Fisk).
                I guess I still call it 24 because I tend to be watching when most others aren't.....but Sky and BBC News still work for me....find what I want when I want it......ads not great, but I only watch/listen at low volumes anyway, which helps, usually while doing something else....wouldn't be without Kay Burley or Sarah-Jane Mee....

Gave up on "official" 1800, 2100, 2200 News ages ago, too restricting and presentationally formalised....

So easy to find fault with everything if you long for the return of a golden age....
                The more you do, the more it allows the government to divide and dissolve...
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 03-02-20, 15:50.

Comment

Working...
                X