X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

What bits of “Europe” are we still in?

Today I found out that the UK is in ESA - European Space Agency - and will still be even after 11pm tonight, as it turns out that ESA is not part of the EU. There are I’m sure other European organisations which we will still be part of - I certainly hope so. Despite all protestation to the contrary, I don’t think we were ever given a detailed description of what European organisations we were part of, and this presumably suited those who didn’t want to present correct and balanced information, and relied upon general ignorance to push forward an agenda, and didn’t want to strain the brains of those voting by giving more complex facts.

I would still like to know what organisations we are still going to be part of, and details of what we will not.
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I wonder if talented UK youths will be eligible for the ECYO.

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      I wonder if talented UK youths will be eligible for the ECYO.
      Only until the end of this year.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Seems we’re not going to be in Euratom - on the grounds that the UK won’t allow freedom of movement. I’m not sure how we can still be in ESA, as surely the logic would be the same. I hope nobody changes the current state, where we are still in ESA.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Eurovision.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Eurovision.
            Which of course isn't anything to do with the EU but I wonder how many voted 'no' in the referendum thinking they'd be able to wave goodbye to the Eurovision Song Contest?
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Seems we’re not going to be in Euratom - on the grounds that the UK won’t allow freedom of movement. I’m not sure how we can still be in ESA, as surely the logic would be the same. I hope nobody changes the current state, where we are still in ESA.
              This is useful re Euratom. It was an early casualty, and while I was aware of some of the potential problems that would arise I didn't realise the cause was the infamous red lines.
              What happens to nuclear safety and security if Britain leaves? And what happens to cancer patients who depend upon medical radioisotopes from continental Europe?

Comment

• alywin
                • Apr 2011

Aren't we stuck with/sticking with the European Court of Human Rights, or am I getting confused?
                No change wrt the European Patent Office, that's for certain.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

We remain a member of the Council of Europe (which predates the EU).

Comment

• LHC
                    • Jan 2011

It is still possible that the UK will continue to play a full part in the EU’s Horizon research Programme in the future. It will depend on the negotiations this year, and will require the
                    UK to pay in to the Programme, but the UK government has previously indicated that it is willing to do so.

This would be very good news if this forms part of the future agreement, as the UK science community benefits enormously from its many research collaborations in Europe. This has also been one of the areas where we get much more funding back than we pay in, because of UK universities’ success in winning grants.
                    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Andy Freude

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      We remain a member of the Council of Europe (which predates the EU).
                      And ergo signatory to the European Convention on Human Rights and subject to the European Court of Human Rights, which is a Council of Europe body.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                        It is still possible that the UK will continue to play a full part in the EU’s Horizon research Programme in the future. It will depend on the negotiations this year, and will require the
                        UK to pay in to the Programme, but the UK government has previously indicated that it is willing to do so.

This would be very good news if this forms part of the future agreement, as the UK science community benefits enormously from its many research collaborations in Europe. This has also been one of the areas where we get much more funding back than we pay in, because of UK universities’ success in winning grants.
                        It would be good yes, but the collaboration is going to be hampered unless the Home Office is onboard.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Chamber Orchestra of Europe?
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Andy Freude

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                            Chamber Orchestra of Europe?
                            Ironically formed by players who came together when they became too old to play in the European Union Youth Orchestra. But it is distinct from the European Union Chamber Orchestra.

Let's just hope that members of the COE, British and European, will be able to move about as freely as they used to in order to participate.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

What worries me is that one side or the other [such a shame we have to talk about 'sides'] will bundle up a lot of smaller institutions into one package and say "You can't have any of these unless you agree to our big package [e.g. export/import of cars]".

The trouble is there are a lot of small and unnoticed institutions, for instance Erasmus, which the EU has, and which go un-noticed by most people until it comes to the crunch.

Comment

Working...
                              X