Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

I'm writing this in a departure lounge (in the EU) as it happens. Everything seems pretty normal, except that I'm not sure whether all the people wandering around with surgical masks on their faces are making some kind of Brexit-related protest.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      I hope you will pop in from time to time, if only for advice on the vagaries of the English language.
      That is one of the reasons for my continued interest (but I still miss the contributions of jean).

I thank you all for your kind words; I had indicated my intention to stay in post #1. I am reminded that one of the most useful parts of this Forum is having my attention drawn to programmes I would otherwise have missed, such as EMS. I listen always to Choral Evensong (even those from St Pancras which have occasionally tried my patience.) Evensong was forced upon me at school - there were three francophones in my year, but only one Catholic, who escaped it. I have found it an inspiration, and I think, a comfort, ever since. I will however, continue to find one particular R3 presenter incomprehensible. I will not say which, except that I flinch every time I hear Brahms pronounced as though by a flock of sheep.

An observation. During the last year more than one person has commiserated with me, on the assumption that I am English. I correct them, but I realise that my Walloon accent is equated with those other well-known manglers of the French language, the English. I know a British family here, who are always mistaken for Nederlanders.* This, in Auvergne, an area with one of the most impenetrable local accents imaginable.

(I hope you all know the opening sentence of " The Luck of The Bodkins" - "Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French". Probably the best line PGWodehouse wrote.)

And so, I am here for the moment. I cannot raise a glass in celebration of today, but I find I have from a recent visit north of the English Channel a suitable beverage, to remind me of happy days, and which I think will be approved of by a least one member here - a few bottles of Harvey's "Sussex Old"

Au Revoir, of course, Santé, and Cheers!

* I asked how their children were coping with the language difficulties. They pointed out that teenagers speak a language entirely their own, incomprehensible to adults of any language. Hope for the future, there.
      Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 31-01-20, 20:20. Reason: afterthought (my speciality).

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
        That is one of the reasons for my continued interest (but I still miss the contributions of jean).

I thank you all for your kind words; I had indicated my intention to stay in post #1. I am reminded that one of the most useful parts of this Forum is having my attention drawn to programmes I would otherwise have missed, such as EMS. I listen always to Choral Evensong (even those from St Pancras which have occasionally tried my patience.) Evensong was forced upon me at school - there were three francophones in my year, but only one Catholic, who escaped it. I have found it an inspiration, and I think, a comfort, ever since. I will however, continue to find one particular R3 presenter incomprehensible. I will not say which, except that I flinch every time I hear Brahms pronounced as though by a flock of sheep.

An observation. During the last year more than one person has commiserated with me, on the assumption that I am English. I correct them, but I realise that my Walloon accent is equated with those other well-known manglers of the French language, the English. I know a British family here, who are always mistaken for Nederlanders. This, in Auvergne, an area with one of the most impenetrable local accents imaginable.

(I hope you all know the opening sentence of " The Luck of The Bodkins" - "Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French". Probably the best line PGWodehouse wrote.)

And so, I am here for the moment. I cannot raise a glass in celebration of today, but I find I have from a recent visit north of the English Channel a suitable beverage, to remind me of happy days, and which I think will be approved of by a least one member here - a few bottles of Harvey's "Sussex Old"

Au Revoir, of course, Santé, and Cheers!
        ....terrific thankyou....i think a mangled reply like "Because it is there", easily becomes "because we are here" for most of us....
        bong ching

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

No politics here, I swear.

You are leaving us, and I am one European who is unhappy about that – in fact I think most of us are. I am a citizen of one EU country (one of the founding nations, in fact) resident in another, who spent some teenage years in England, twice worked there, and visit a few times each year, so I feel a close connnexion. I wish you well, but I hope and believe that there will continue to be close relations.

I have been wondering about my own relationship with this Forum, and Radio Three. The latter no longer seems to serve me well, for reasons which seem to be those of many who contribute regularly to the Forum. I had considered leaving the Forum gracefully today, but I think on reflection that I will probably listen in from time to time, and read, and contribute if I feel I have something useful to say.

Bon Voyage, not Adieu!
          Um...as someone who isn't a U.K. Resident either, I am not really sure why you feel compelled to disengage, unless you think it is somehow striking a blow for the Remain Group...the Cultural offerings of the BBC can still be enjoyed thanks to Internet Radio and don't have to stop at the English Channel, or the vagaries of Contemporary Politics

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Join me in playing The Symphonies of Albéric Magnard tonight, to remind us all of what really matters!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

How did Jacques Brel put it ? Ne me quitte pas ...

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                Um...as someone who isn't a U.K. Resident either, I am not really sure why you feel compelled to disengage, unless you think it is somehow striking a blow for the Remain Group...the Cultural offerings of the BBC can still be enjoyed thanks to Internet Radio and don't have to stop at the English Channel, or the vagaries of Contemporary Politics
                I think a close reading of my second post would reveal that I am slightly disenchanted with R3's current offerings. "There is a world Elsewhere".

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

I think a close reading of my second post would reveal that I am slightly disenchanted with R3's current offerings. "There is a world Elsewhere".
                  This isn’t a prison, but I think if you want to pop in from time to time, and even say “hi” that would be much appreciated. I agree with the sentiments in both your first and second posts.

Best wishes.

Dave

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Which I hadn’t read at the time of my post...but the timing on your part can lead one astray, non? Surely you must have these feelings for sometime but to publicly announce your withdrawal on Brexit Day, or whatever today is called, implies a certain motive.
                    Well it’s a pity, as Ihave always enjoyed your contributions, and hopefully over time you will wander back here, no explanation required. Au revoir

Comment

Working...
                    X