Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

I am shocked about this because it was so unexpected; I'm sure that I'm far from alone in having let myself assume that he'd always be around ("around the WORLD"!?). One of the most engaging but unpretentious entertainers that has ever graced the airwaves.

I happened to send him a copy of Swedish pianist Fredrik Ullén's CD Got a minute? (https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...--got-a-minute ) for his 90th birthday in 2013; he responded

"Forgive the delay in thanking you for the CD that you sent. My life has been particularly hectic recently with all the celebrations around my big birthday.

We have listened to the tape[sic!] as we drove and enjoyed it immensely. Thank you again for the kind thought."

RIP Nicholas Parsons.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Victoria Coren Mitchell would be a good choice
      Not so sure about that!

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        Gyles Brandreth to replace Nicholas Parsons as Chairman?
        Only if they want the programme to end - Brandreth is ghastly.

Comment

• StephenMcK
          • Jan 2020

Indeed not. VCM would be much too tart.

Merton and Brandreth are too required as panellists.

It's primarily a straight man's role and one, at that, who can keep the thing on the rails.

Actually, Mr. Coren Mitchell would be good for it. He could keep charge but he'd be well able to field the repartee and provide plenty of his own.
          Last edited by StephenMcK; 29-01-20, 15:29.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by StephenMcK View Post
            Indeed not. VCM would be much too tart.

Merton and Brandreth are too required as panellists.

It's primarily a straight man's role and one, at that, who can keep the thing on the rails.

Actually, Mr. Coren Mitchell would be good for it. He could keep charge but be well able to field the repartee and provide plenty of his own.
            He may be too committed at present given his current TV work and the upcoming stage version of 'Upstart Crow'.
            I think discussion, even at this early stage, of the difficulty of replacing Nicholas Parsons, rather than a sign of disrespect, is in its way a kind of tribute. I don't know whether he'd recorded a series yet to be broadcast or a new series is to be recorded in the immediate future.
            One possibility might be to follow the example of HIGNFY and the News Quiz and have a rota of presenters.
            Apparently it has been suggested that 'Just A Minute' should be cancelled - now that WOULD be disrespectful, in my opinion.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              He may be too committed at present given his current TV work and the upcoming stage version of 'Upstart Crow'.
              I think discussion, even at this early stage, of the difficulty of replacing Nicholas Parsons, rather than a sign of disrespect, is in its way a kind of tribute. I don't know whether he'd recorded a series yet to be broadcast or a new series is to be recorded in the immediate future.
              One possibility might be to follow the example of HIGNFY and the News Quiz and have a rota of presenters.
              Apparently it has been suggested that 'Just A Minute' should be cancelled - now that WOULD be disrespectful, in my opinion.
              I get the impression each programme is pretty recently recorded, since contemporary happenings do sometimes worm their way in.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Was interested to hear on the Petroc show this morning that NP had dyslexia, so couldn't use an autocue and had to memorise everything. I gather he also suffered from a stutter and having been forced to use his right hand when he was lefthanded. Knowing from my own family(grandmother and cousin) the problems that handedness 'correction' can cause, and coupled with the other issues, I can only say what a triumph.

Comment

Working...
                X